Hello guest! Would you like to or Register? If this is your first visit to the site, please be sure to read our Handbook

[ P ] Figures
Sanctuary

Essie

Stardust: 935✪

aurelia

figures i'm willing to stay cause i'm sick for your love

Winter.

It surrounded her mercilessly. The days grew shorter and the nights turned bitter and long; she could tell because there was often no warmth from the sun.

Aurelia had returned to the forest some months ago with the intention of finding her father. She had hoped that she could find him and that he was not dead after all, but after months of no luck... she was beginning to think that surely, he was gone too. She really was alone and the emptiness was wearing on her. It was easier to survive, here in the forest where she had been born, but how much longer could she do this? Was this just her life now? Scavenging and wandering, alone...

The small girl tilted back her muzzle and howled mournfully to no one. She often howled in the night, calling for her father or for anyone that might listen. She was visited rarely by strangers and familiar faces. It wasn't like she could join them on adventure... it wasn't like she really belonged with them. She belonged nowhere and she was nothing. A speck of lonely dust just floating in the careless wind, helpless and lost. If only her parents were still alive.

If only she knew someone, anyone that cared.

Aurelia lowered her muzzle as her howl came to an end. She didn't know if anyone had heard. So, she began to walk towards the place she rested -- a hollowed out tree trunk nestled deep in the safe confines of the forest.

As she walked, snow and ice crunched underfoot and she winced as the cold bit her hungrily. Her belly growled and she sighed. She hadn't found food in days, but she was used to it by now. The hunger pangs were little more than annoyances to her anymore.

OOC: @Sanada

TABLE BY DI
Loner

post log:
rusted weapon

soar

Stardust: 1,100✪
I am your copper sword; I am your obsidian shield
Use me and I gleam on the battlefield

Snow covered the ground, pristine white – at least, before he stepped on it — and it brought to mind memories of his northern home. A small jolt of homesickness speared through his heart and he released a deep sigh, as though it would dislodge the sudden discomfort. To no one's surprise, it did not relent; a knot in his chest only tightened, almost as if fearful of being brushed away.

But truth be told, days were getting easier, possibly because he was forced to realise that this was his life now, and so he no longer felt like he had to wait. He rolled his shoulders and lowered his chest in a full-bodied stretch, arching his back, when a call came, rolling across the night sky. Lonely. Sorrowful. His heart — already so delicate — wept for the wolf.

Sanada listened to the song until it faded into the dark quiet. Once silence came to settle upon the earth like a descending mist, he turned in the direction where Cairo would be and pondered whether he should sleep closer to her or not.

A dog on a leash, curling up next to his owner.

The thought was spiteful. And unfair; in the end, he had chosen his fate, after all. Still, it did not he would face it without searing flames burning on within his eyes and soul. Sometimes they slipped and poisoned his thoughts. Words too, on bad days. But it was not her fault; the bitterness was toward himself. He turned, his back on Cairo, and his eyes drifted listlessly over the scenery, until they suddenly halted. Upon a lone figure. Tiny and pitiful.

The unexpected familiarity of the sight beckoned him and he went, approaching the girl slowly and hesitantly. Until he remembered: “Blind girl!” A wide smile parted his lips as he called out.

“Sanada is speaking”
Sanctuary

Essie

aurelia

"Blind girl!" The call came as a surprise and she had to wonder if she had finally snapped. Was she hearing things? Her ears twitched at the sound of approaching paw steps and after a few moments, a scent. That, combined with the voice brought vague memories back to her. "S-Sanada?" she said uncertainly.

It had been so long since she'd seen anyone and she couldn't help the joy that bubbled in her chest, despite the fact that this wolf wasn't really what she'd consider a friend. Still, he provoked such emotion that she wished she could see him so she could hug him.

Aurelia took a few steps in his direction then stopped. She tilted her chin up and looked at the shadows; they were hard to see due to the dim light of day. She couldn't wait for winter to end. "Why are you here?" she asked, her voice a little hopeful. For her, maybe? Aurelia shook her head, she didn't want to seem desperate. "Um, it's been a while... sorry. H-How are you?" she asked. Ah, pleasantries. She had never been good at those.

Her stomach gurgled loudly and only a single ear twitched on her head to acknowledge it. She wished she could just tell her gut to shut up half the time. The noises were really unnecessary.

TABLE BY DI
Loner

post log:
rusted weapon

soar

It was dark, he could not see the details that built her form, but the pause that came just before she reacted told him that uncertainty must have halted her briefly. But whether it was confusion or surprise, he could not be sure. It could be both. "S-Sanada?" Her voice was small. It had also lost the sharp edge that had tried to cut through Sanada many times, many weeks ago.

She was quiet, that it almost left him feeling uneasy.

"Why are you here?" He tilted his head, “Am I not allowed here? Oh, am I trespassing? Chase me off your land then,” He smiled without meaning to. Her delicate, hopeful tone had softened the harshness that would have otherwise accompanied his smile and teasing words. Then, suddenly, she shook her head, as though to dispel thoughts, whatever they were, and quickly rectified, "Um, it's been a while... sorry. H-How are you?"

“Just fine and dan-” Her stomach cut him off, wanting to speak over his lie. Which was kind of a relief, because it felt heavy and bitter in his mouth, and because he didn't want to let it go. “Not as hungry as you are, apparently. Actually,” he tilted his head, “I'm surprised that you're still alive. I see that you've decided against tossing yourself off a high rock.”

Death by starvation for her then.

“Sanada is speaking”
Sanctuary

Essie

aurelia

Aurelia ached for genuine connection, but it was apparent she wouldn't find that here. So, a simple sigh escaped her lips and she shrugged a little. "It's not my land," she murmured softly.

He knew that, of course. A wolf like her was not capable of holding land... at least not on her own. Maybe if she were more charismatic she could gain followers and then, then... what? Aurelia wouldn't even know what to do with followers. It was a nice thought to entertain, though. The thought was short lived as Sanada spoke up, commenting on her stomach and mentioning her previous woes. A huff escaped her and she felt embarrassed being called out like that. He really had no tact, did he?

"I guess I preferred starving to death instead," she said with a shake of her head. "Seeing as you're always so contrary, how about you don't let me get my way and fetch me something to eat?" She didn't actually expect him to find her anything, but she couldn't help the snarky response. He just seemed to bring that out of her.

The small girl sat down in the snow and curled her tail around her paws. "You're still here?" she asked, faking her impatience.

TABLE BY DI
Loner

post log:
rusted weapon

soar

Was she disappointed? A sigh had passed her lips and her words were small when she spoke resignedly. Apparently refusing to meet his taunt with a sharp barb of her own. She did not hold the same anger she had that day in the meadow; in its place, there was... sadness? He tilted his head — was it a season of misery? It would not be a total nonsense, for winter always brought sorrow. He pressed his lips into a thin line.

"I guess I preferred starving to death instead," She shook her head, unknowingly echoing his thoughts. "Seeing as you're always so contrary, how about you don't let me get my way and fetch me something to eat?" Despite himself, he laughed. Mirth spilling forth easily, like a burbling stream glittering on a spring day. When his laugh had calmed, he glanced around, seeing nothing but the white of winter; there was no track that might lead him to a quarry and no lingering scent to lure his hungry nose. "You're still here?" “Yeah,” he responded as though it was a silly question. He then cast a sidelong glance at Aurelia. “Come with me,” he said, nudging her shoulder with his own as he walked past her.

“Sanada is speaking”
Sanctuary

Essie

aurelia

He laughed.

The boisterous sound was full and warm. It somehow brought her comfort. Laughter was a rarity in these lonely woods and his was contagious. She let out a soft laugh, quiet and almost inaudible compared to his. She didn't have much to laugh about and certainly no energy to really feel it. Aurelia huffed softly as he finally spoke, agreeing to help her find a meal. She felt him nudge her and she stood to follow him deeper into the woods she assumed.

Prey scent was scarce right now because of the cold and snow, so she wondered just what he had in mind.

In summer she might find berries and insects to eat, and the occasional dead animal she could scavenge but in winter... everything else was scavenging too. The plants were all dead as well. It was much harder to get by for anyone, let alone a small, blind wolf.

"What are you going to do?" she asked quietly.

She could feel her warm breath pool in the air between them and she curiously glanced his direction. What tricks did he have up his sleeve?

TABLE BY DI
Loner

post log:
rusted weapon

soar

A hushed laugh slipped out of her, and his ears flicked at the unexpected sound. He had almost come to believe that she was incapable of expressing any form of merriment. She was furious in the poppy meadow, and miserable in the forest, today. To many, she was a pitiful being (as for Sanada, he only found her amusing) and possibly undeserving of much attention, as she would be a troublesome burden. A blind young girl, presumably with no knowledge of basic living skills, who would contribute nothing, save for some cross words. Who would be willing to accompany her?

He would, but only for today. "What are you going to do?" she whispered as he nudged her into moving forward. He flicked his ears and his shoulders lifted in a shrug, “Nothing,” he said innocently, “Fancied a walk.” His gaze shifted to her, watching as she walked alongside him. Curiosity had him holding his gaze upon her, observing her steps. Just how often did she tumble? He then tilted his head; she was quiet today, and he was not certain if it was due to exhaustion of enduring winter, or him not being an ass. “What have you been up to, dear? Other than not jumping off, and starving yourself.”

“Sanada is speaking”

@Aurelia
Sanctuary

Essie

aurelia

"A walk? Really?" she said. It was probably sarcasm, or at least she hoped so. Her nose twitched as she walked alongside him and she kept bumping into his side as she was unable to judge well the distance between them. As they walked, he asked her what she had been up to. "Hmm," she hummed as she thought. There was no harm in being honest with him. "Looking for my father," she answered.

"I haven't had any luck. I'm pretty sure he's dead too." What else was she supposed to think?

Aurelia paused a moment and then asked him the very same. "What about you? Helping more damsels in distress?" She didn't like to think of herself as a damsel, so making it a joke helped her feel better. She was one, though... or worse. She was almost completely helpless... and what could she do to rectify that? Not much. Especially with nobody to teach her.

As she walked, she got distracted by her thoughts and forgot to 'watch' her step. Her paw hit a particularly long and large root from a nearby tree and down she went. Into the cold snow she fell. A small yell of surprise escaped her before she was covered in cold and she might have been angry if she wasn't so exhausted. She pulled her paws towards her chest and lifted her head, a pile of snow sat atop it between her ears. Blinking, she shook her head and looked around. "Well THANKS!" she breathed hotly. She wondered if Sanada would be able to tell she was shaking from cold instead of anger.

TABLE BY DI
Loner

post log:
rusted weapon

soar

Disbelief was her retort, one he ignored as he moved through the snowy forest. Their paces were idle, their bodies brushed each other occasionally as Aurelia drew a tad too close. "Looking for my father," she admitted, opting for honesty instead of throwing at him some seething comments, "I haven't had any luck. I'm pretty sure he's dead too." He raised a brow at the 'too'. “Who else's dead?” Spoken in a matter-of-fact voice, with no care or caution accompanying the question. She might already know, but he was not one to approach whenever burdened with tragic troubles.

"What about you? Helping more damsels in distress?" He pressed his lips into a thin line, which then curled upward into a saccharine smile. “Yes.” Then there was a beat of deliberation, which silenced his tongue for a brief moment. “I'm so good at it that I got a job protecting a princess.” He looked at Aurelia sidelong, with a frozen smile upon his lips. One that a sighted wolf would immediately recognise as false.

What he did not reveal was that he had failed to help her. That would make for a poor story.

Then she suddenly disappeared from his side, and he spun around and found her in the snow. He moved toward her when she shouted her... gratitude. He emitted a short laugh, which deepened ever so slightly when frustration exploded across her face, “Want to hold my tail now?” He suggested, though it came with a slight snicker, “There may be more roots, dear. We're in a forest, after all.”

“Sanada is speaking”

@Aurelia

BIANDRI. Caeleste - Fantasy Equine RPG Intrepid Mortality