FOLKLORE

[ P ] Son of Sunsets
@Sif

Arios Orelia

You are my Sunshine, my only Sunshine."
Arios watched the sunset with an awed expression. No matter the number of times the pup had seen them it seemed that each time a new color was painted in the sky. Or the colors were placed differently, the vibrancy of it left the pup in wonder. Looking over towards Sif as she came over to him, she had noticed early when she mentioned her mother still being with her that the older girl had saddened. Her ears had flattened just as they were beginning to do now.

"Well... I'm sure mama would be very happy to show you Primmy, she said that you two were vewy, very, simi- similar?" She mumbled, sticking out her tongue as she struggled with her words. Focusing on Sif's advise on talking slower and focusing on them. The same her mother had told her. She looked over at Sif fully when the older pup laid next to her, the warmth from the other body tickled against Ari's now dry curls. She took notice of how the older girl turned away from her, laying her head on the dirt instead of against her shoulder or on her own paws. Her ears had slightly gone downward and her shoulders tensed. Arios gulped slightly worried she made the girl upset.

"I'm sorry," Arios mumbled it was quiet, soft. Slowly leaning down and resting her head across the older pup's shoulder blades, scooting her frame close enough that she could rest a paw over her back in a gentle embrace.

"I didn- mean to up-set you." She murmured quietly. Shifting slightly to nuzzle her nose into the older pup's neck. Letting out a long breath still tasting the mint sprig she had been chewing on earlier, breathing in Sif's scent as she held the girl close. A funny feeling stirred in the pup's stomach, either from guilt or the sadness of causing any sort of a pain to a wolf that she looked up to made her feel sick with herself.

She gently licked away water droplets that rested on the older pup's cheeks, then her ears and the back of her head that she couldn't reach. Remembering as far back as she could when Sif had held her close, Sif seemed a lot bigger then, so Arios chose to take the place Sif had in the short while that Sif was lager then she was. Draping her head back over the older pup's neck and curling around her as much as she could. Her long tail gently draped over Sif's back leg.

"speak"

"You make me happy, when skies are grey."

Sif Asgaut
the sun rebels

Eyes of marigold cast only slightly toward the sky to see the mixture of pinks, oranges, blues and golds that decorated the sky but she never once found herself overly immersed in the beauty of it. What good would it do to be lost in something that could not be at the very least collected, brought away with one's self to stare at far past the hour or so that it shown in the dimming of light. Yes it was something far beyond her understanding, no way she could ever learn how in the heavens something they could not grasp could also shift in rainbows. Though maybe that was why the other was so awe inspired, captivated in the same kind of marvel as the flowers that no matter how similar they looked, were never truly identical. Be it a small wrinkle or a shifted hue in one little spot, some spotting or the speed at which they blossomed. Just like wolves, they were ever changing and transpiring to show the world they were something special. Even thinking about such things, she still did not see the admiration the other did toward it.

Glancing over at him as he spoke of his adopted sister, she felt her ears move down along her head, unsure if any of that was a good idea. "I..." she started but quickly drifted off, brows furrowing and contorting as she tried to think of something that wouldn't be considered purely rude, be it of herself or the child that was brought up. "I would only wilt the rose further by the sun on my back," she murmured, not expecting him to understand what she meant by that, being as obscure as possible about her fear of hurting the albino she-wolf. As indirect as she was for once being, she was not lying all the same, it was not in her nature to lie, only withhold information. With that, she allowed her head back down and away from him.

She was unware he noticed that anything was wrong, thinking he wouldn't really pay her any attention as his focus was on the string of colors well above them, reflecting off the water's surface. So when an apology was abruptly issued, making her nearly jump up to question what he was apologizing for when she should be begging for his forgiveness about so many other things. Was it about her leaving, did he think it had been his fault she had disappeared for a long while? Those rampaging thoughts were quickly interrupted as her body tensed from nose to tail tip as heat wrapped around her shoulders like a blanket suddenly being draped over her. She froze more as the space of their lower body also moved closer to connect with her.

Further the voice invaded her tumbleweed of a brain right now as she tried to figure out what was causing the one half her age to be doing any of this, though it slowly sunk in she wasn't really hiding anything. Just because she didn't have a long tail didn't mean her emotions were invisible, other body language was a huge giveaway as to how she felt or that she was trying to hide herself away. She sometimes forgot the other could be very perceptive when it came to how others felt, recalling any time she was sad before he could even talk, he would weasel against her as if to comfort her. It could have just been coincidence but she'd like to think he had been conscious to some degree, no matter how minimal.

Her fur bristled a little at the attempted nuzzle into her neck, not sure how much she liked that, rather protective of her neck out of instinct but what were the chances this big flower child would try ending her life? She did her best to ease up, to not retaliate. He was someone safe. Now when she started to get cleaned off by a raspy tongue, she gave a very subtle glare but not toward them, just off toward the distance as she was never a fan of being groomed by a tongue bigger than her own but she found herself not hating it. It brought her back briefly to meeting Anais those many sunrises ago, having groomed the water off her gorgeous golden fur. It did not take too long for all those thoughts to extinguish and return back to what the other had been apologizing for. Taking in a breath as she was not allowed any personal space, she chose to lower her head and rest it on the other's forelegs and tucking her face away in the other's chest fur to hide.

"I can't remember their faces...I can't remember their voices..." she murmured quietly as if not truly wishing to be heard. As much as her eyes burned and her heart ached, she could not allow her tears to surface. As much as Blackfoot's voice echoed that it was okay to cry, that it wasn't a sign of weakness, she shed away that notion. "You really have become one big grub," she laughed through her pain, realizing they had switched roles.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

@Arios
@Sif

Arios Orelia

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
Arios gave a small sigh as she got comfortable around Sif, looking down at the older pup with a smile when she laid her head on Ari’s forelegs, her head pressing against the younger ones broadening chest laden with long curled fur. Silky to the touch giving the amount of grooming she underwent and laced with the scent of roses and lavender.

“Well… you knew they were there...I-think that’s enou-enough.” She murmured, her voice gentle and more along the lines of a soft hum rather than loud. Laying her head over the older wolf’s shoulders she listened to Sif’s laughter, it was a rare occurrence and she couldn’t help but give a small giggle of her own.

“Your one big grub”

Arios cuddled against her and gave an affectionate nip to her ear.

“Hey im not dat big! Jus fluffy.” She said with a small smirk her tail lighting beating against Sif’s leg as she watched the sun sink lower and lower in the horizon.

“I like hew-hearing you laugh.” She mumbled into the golden fur on Sif’s back, gently picking out any specks of dirt or twigs caught in the girl’s coat that she could reach while keeping her head rested comfortably on her back. She smiled slightly as she looked back out at the setting sun before letting her eyes slip closed, listening to the gentle drum of Sif’s heartbeat as she held the girl close, enjoying the warmth and comfort that the older pup provided. The warmth from the sinking sun only adding to her comfort as the crickets began to chirp and fireflies began to twinkle into view, setting upon the grass casting their gentle flickers to attract one another. Arios listened to it all with a smile, slanting her eyes open to look out at the dancing lights.

“I-im heya if you eva wanna cuddle.” she mumbled, giving a small smile to the older girl as she watched brave lightening bugs land close to the two pups. Playfully though lazily she swatting at one with her tail. Giggling when it retreated in small flashes of yellow tinted light

"speak"

You make me happy, when skies are grey

Sif Asgaut
the sun rebels

She had grown silent once more, listening and thinking, if not waiting for something more to transpire from the overly affectionate fluff ball she recalled Dove saying was named after her father or grandfather. Which, she wasn't sure but it had been a name they both agreed was a good fit for the one she had once been so close to, before she drifted away. Thinking of her own name, she sometimes wondered why the elders of her old pack were the ones that chose her name over her parents but she really didn't know the inner workings of that Nordic tribe, such as how they pillaged for territory and sacrificed pure souls to the gods, most often that being children. A rose tongue lightly flicked over her nose as she could not recall ever having siblings and was starting to wonder if what she had with this large pup was what it would be like, full of bonding and cuddling, always finding comfort in the other. Well at least she found comfort in being around him, she felt she more likely just constantly upset and worried him taking off all the time, at the very least she had manage to keep her temper and sass in check while in his presence. That's more than she could say to most she knew.

Her ear twitched to the ginger nibble of teeth, moons shifting up some to catch a brief glance of him moving just enough to snap at her ear in a playful gesture. She couldn't stop the tiniest of smiles from forming again, even if she didn't focus too much on the remark he made of being just fur.

Thoughts were impeded by a chuckle and further comments, though this time it seemed to be a compliment, feeling her fur get warmer again but brushed it off to be the weight of his head along her shoulders. He was nothing more than a giant heating blanket, so it seemed about right but his tail far longer than her own, was fanning away some of that heat. "If only life was always like this, maybe I could laugh far more," she murmured with a hidden undertone of sorrow. Was it really so uncommon he heard her laugh? That couldn't be true, she didn't want to believe it was true. Raising her head just a little as she wanted to interject on the subject as a whole but found her fur being sorted through by gentle plucking and digging out debris as best a wolf muzzle could.

It wasn't long till he stilled, his breathing becoming more rhythmic, diaphragm pressing against her enough for her to notice. Turning her head to glance over her shoulder at him, she stared for a good long moment until something bright flickered between their heads, following it with her eyes until it moved from her vision. Living mostly in snow and ice, she never really seen such odd creatures in her life and was rather confused as they turned on and off, showing a softened golden blaze. Her head tilted as she tried to listen more intently on the sound of nature, the crickets singing their tune to alert that it was late evening, warm hues decorating the sky as the last sliver of the sun was sheathed by the horizon for the night. Always so lost in her head, she never paid attention to the small things around her, the beautiful things that were always there. It wasn't that there was only ugly in the world, she had chosen to ignore it until her soul was nearly encased in darkness. To think a single evening with this kid brought forth far more beauty than just flowers or pretty pink eyes.

She had thought him asleep until he spoke up again and she froze up just a little before looking back over her shoulder, slightly wide eyed and bewildered by the delicate statement. "I don't doubt that and maaaaaybe I'll take advantage of it whenever I feel down. The same goes for you, not that I'm your best choice for comfort," she commented warmly.

There was another glowing bug that floated more daringly near the other's cheek, temptation drove her to snap her fangs to catch the bug into the safety of her fang made cage. Peeling back her lips as the glowing specimen's light peeked through the cracks of her teeth in a blinding smile, flashing it in the other's grey face in hope for the light to bounce off his blossom hues. A soft giggle came out as it played on her tongue in attempts to escape, which she granted its release before leaning her head further back to give Arios a carefully placed nuzzle and lick on his cheek closest to her, if they allowed. "You're one of the few things in this world that can crack that darkness with light by a single smile. I know it might be weird to say, with your mom insisting I call her Auntie, but you're like a precious little brother to me and I never want to lose that," she cooed softly, showing a side of herself near none has seen to reconcile for all the distance she caused.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

@Arios
@Sif

Arios Orelia

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

Arios's eyes slowly opened when he felt Sif's body give small vibrations as she began to speak. The pup noticing the underlying sorrow in her voice but did not focuse on comforting it as sadness, rather she approached it differently.

"If only life was always like this, maybe I could laugh far more,"

Arios did not move from her place, gently rubbing her cheek against Sif's shoulders and gave a soft hum as she thought over what the older girl had said.

"I wish it were always like dis." She murmured quietly, her voice barely above a whisper as she held Sif close. Knowing she couldn't relate to the troubles the older one had faced at such a young age. Arios didn't need to experience it to empathize with it, between Primrose and Sif she had seen how cruel the world could be to pups. To ones she cared for. As the pup lay resting and nature came alive around them she felt Sif's head moving, as if she was just now witnessing the beauty of where they were. The true reason Arios had brought the girl away from her den was to show her the beauty that lay in Vista, to relax the pup and offer her some peace away from the pack. Away from Blackfoot and Dove and Newt. Away from stress.

"I don't doubt that and maaaaaybe I'll take advantage of it whenever I feel down. The same goes for you, not that I'm your best choice for comfort,"

Arios's form gave a small chuckle, stretching her legs for a moment before returning them to cradle the older girl.

"I'll be sh-sure too. An... don be silly Siffy." She murmured, tilting her head up for a moment to but her forehead against Sif's cheek, a simple gesture as she nuzzle the pup before resting once more on her shoulders. Her tail continuing it's pleased swaying as she watched the fireflies go around them. Arios raised her head quickly when Sif gave a sharp movment before bursting into a fit of giggles and musical laughter when the pup gave her a flashing smile. Each time a flash of light came from between her teeth sent Arios into giggles once more. Sif's own lauhter joining made Arios beam, a large grin on her features when the bug was let go. The smile turning warm as she responded to Sif's nuzzle, leaning into the action and giving a soft hum as her cheek was kissed, returning it to Sif's cheek as she nuzzled the older pup.

"You're one of the few things in this world that can crack that darkness with light by a single smile. I know it might be weird to say, with your mom insisting I call her Auntie, but you're like a precious little brother to me and I never want to lose that,"

Arios looked at Sif and gave her a small smile, watching as she finally showed herself to her. The side of Sif that she had missed for months, especailly the period of time she had been gone. Giving a small shake of her head she leaned forward, nuzzling her head underneath Sif's chin. Slowly pulling away to look the pup in the eyes, her gentle wine coated orbs meeting the burning amber.

"Then..you wont, you wont lose me Siffy. I pomise, all my heart." She whispered, not breaking her eye contact with the older girl as she swore. Looking away when the firelies became more frequent and preformed their dance around the two. Arios looked back at Sif and mumbled.

"I wove you Siffy."
"speak"

You make me happy, when skies are grey

Sif Asgaut
the sun rebels

Silently she listened to the returned words, her nub of a tail giving two short wags but that was all that came forth visually when focusing on the matter since she really wasn't sure how to respond without opening past cuts, trauma she rather not speak of. Stress was one thing but coping with everything that she had lived through before his age was heavy and thick with salty tears she hid away from the world, not wanting to accept she was a child because all children should be happy and left to bask in the promises of a bright future. She intended to keep that future for Arios, even if something happened to the rest of the pack if she could stay alive she could be that ground that never changed for him, that she never had. "It's a lovely thought that maybe you can make possible," she spoke quietly, the negativity often outweighing the positive in her mind but she tried to be a little more positive for his sake.

Her fur fluffed up as he got in her face, still hesitant with some touch but it was more welcomed than it would be if it was from near anyone else, her guardian being the biggest exception. She might tolerated it from others to some degree, it really depended on the situation and reason for their invasion into her bubble of solitude. Ebon ears perked at the sound of laughter due to her odd antics with the bugs, still curious as to what they were but she was avid on referring to them as glow bugs or lightning bugs, never having seen fire in her life close up so she couldn't quite establish the flickering flame to that of the light on the flying pesky beauties.

It seemed after she had given him the smallest of licks, the gesture was returned with enthusiasm, giving her an odd sensation of warmth and a shiver along her nape. Come to think of it, besides tongue bathes, she hadn't really been much involved with this kind of physical contact out of what she could remember. Blackfoot never really did anything past night time piling as any wolf with a pack mentality or maternal instinct might to keep each other warm and offer protection, security that they were there. This child had always given them to her time and time again, the only one probably daring enough to get so close to clench fangs without a worry that she might snap at him. It was odd. Yet, to her, it was normal. This was normal for them, raised alongside each other since he was born and he offered her the comfort only a sibling could give.

After her speech, it initially seemed like the other was reluctant to hear her words as the smile was lacking the enthusiasm she had expected from them and she instantly regretted saying it. Her head went to turn away as they shook their head, taking the motions in unison as a polite rejection to the whole thing she put her pride aside to say. Her head was caught by his muzzle seizing her chin before the motion could finish in full, stopping her from taking the initiative to separate from him to go relieve herself of those emotions that brimmed in her eyes; sorrow and rejection. Her teeth clenched tightly as she let out a huff as he lifted his head back up to meet her gaze with an attentive disposition, the face he made when he insured a promise she usually could expect him to keep.

Then..you wont, you wont lose me Siffy. I pomise, all my heart.

As soft as he spoke, there was a firm declaration that parted his lips and captivated her gaze. Of course she felt contradicted, a weak smile forming on her lips as she felt tears threatening to fall. Before she could answer, it seemed that he got distracted by the fireflies once more and she felt it was a perfect time to escape from having to share any further emotions, that was until the silence was once again broken.

I wove you Siffy.

Her heart felt like it was malfunctioning as she took in the failed attempt at him saying love, though it still worked just as well as if it had been defined better. "Geez Grub," she murmured, avoiding answering at first as her mind tried to focus on what to say in the time allotted before it was considered rude. Going through each gear of her mental chamber, she took in a breath and pulled herself up, removing herself from his cradling forearms. Slowly and carefully it took a little time to untangle herself, stretching a little to waken stiff muscles before she padded a few steps away from him.

"Your mom is on patrol tonight, right? Why don't you stay with me for the night...it could be nice to curl up like we used to and pause time for a moment. Not grow up too fast," she offered, glancing at him, ready to walk back toward the caverns in question no matter his answer. Shaking her fur free of some matting, she couldn't really look at him as she finally decided to once again to wear her heart on the outside for but a second in time.

"I love you too...numbskull."

-Sif Exits Unless Stopped-
“I am speaking”
table made by soar

@Arios

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.