FOLKLORE

[ AW ] Frailty

Sorcha Munro
The Butterfly

In her absence, wolves had laid claim to the Pine Forest. She had gazed upon the woods, bristling at the scents that forbid her from revisiting the well worn paths that she had travelled for much of her life.

Though the Munro’s had no hold over the land, it had been their ancestral home since the first Celtic wolves had arrived in Cyrileth - as far as Sorcha knew, the forest had never been claimed by another, so she had taken the fact she could come and go as she pleased for granted, believing that the pines would welcome her whenever she chose to return. With the arrival of these new wolves, and the cursed scent markings that claimed the forest as their own, Sorcha had no choice but to abandon the familiar embrace. She had worn the title of vagabond without truly knowing it's meaning - now it was the life she had no choice but to live.

She tried not to think of her parents, of their graves that would never be tended to, and the children that could never visit.

Creamy paws led her away from the lush pines and to the Red Wood, where a melancholy atmosphere remained since the passing of the Eldritch Tree, but the graveyard brought with it a comforting embrace for the girl who walked listlessly through the charred wood.

What would she do now?

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

M O R D E C A I

On patrol once again. It had been a wonderful and agonizing few days. After coming to this strange new land and running into his friend --and crush-- to find out that she was starting a pack... and was unfortunately taken... He'd launched himself into his new role as knight. He'd also launched himself into a bunch of food because that always made him feel better. Unfortunately with his patrolling he wasn't able to eat as much as he would like to. The reason he'd followed his nose to something that smelled absolutely delightful.

With his nose down tracking like a bloodhound, he followed the scent all the way to Indrani's border where he stopped. Indecisive for a moment before deciding that he should continue towards the smell. It wasn't as if another pack was in this area and besides, he'd just pop in to grab the tasty treat then pop out again.

His paws carried him at a slow ambling walk, then at a quick trot as his greed took him forward. There! He could see a couple of eggs broken on the ground! The yellow goodness on the inside would be his in no time!

Tromp! Tromp! Tromp! He certainly wasn't going very quietly. Stirring up all sorts of commotion in the dead wood. When had the scenery changed so abruptly? Sure, there were a sprinkling of pines here and there --where he'd noticed the broken eggs-- but mostly it was like a ghost forest. Ah well! More eggs for him! He made it to his prize and began noisily licking up the contents with his stub-tail wagging back and forth slowly in pleasure.

"speech."

Sorcha Munro
The Butterfly

The melancholy quiet that had become common of the Red Wood since the fire was disrupted by a sudden commotion. Fox red ears pricked towards the source of the sound, and Sorcha could feel herself growing increasingly irritated at the sudden noise. Although she wasn’t in any mood for company, she always wasn’t about to put up with the noise when she had came to the wood for quiet contemplation.

She set off at a brisk trot, quickly came upon the cause of the racket; a large, earthen toned male, loudly snuffling up something from the ground. She noted with some curiosity that his tail was nothing more than a stump.

“You could wake the dead making that much noise.” She spoke casually, but there was a hint of a warning to her tone. Even in death, the Eldritch Tree deserved the respect of those who walked its woods. She stepped closer to the male, and realised that his scent seemed to be an amalgamation of many wolves. Her stomach twisted, but she forced back the facade of indifference.

“Where are you from?” She questioned him idly, but Sorcha was sure that she already knew the answer. This was her chance to gather information on the pack that resided in her former home, should the male choose to cooperate with her.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

@Mordecai

M O R D E C A I

Mordecai never troubled himself about how much noise he made moving around. The only time it particularly mattered was sneak attacks on rival packs or patrols but none of that was going on right now so he was perfectly fine with his loudness. He knew to keep himself alert at all times, to watch out for any possible ambushes but so far this land seemed relatively peaceful. While he ate his ears were during very cursory scans of the immediate area and as such he heard the sound of pawsteps first before the voice addressed him. His noising slurping ceased for a moment before he glanced backwards to look at who'd addressed him. A small she-wolf, brown in color with bright russet accents. Without even thinking about it his brain buzzed a simple "no threat" as he was partially distracted by his yolks again. Although he did manage to throw out a simple, "Nah, dead don't wake for no one." Perhaps he would have heeded the warning a bit more and not made light of it if he hadn't thought himself perfectly safe from her with no one else around.

Finally finished with the yolk he turned around to fully face her, brown eyes friendly and half-lidded as per usual. "The Lubresca Pack, originally, it's not here in Cyrileth though." He ran his tongue around his mouth contemplatively, halfway licking up remnants of yolk and halfway thinking about what she said. "Although, if you mean now then I live in the Pine Forest with my pack." He saw no reason not to share. Sharing was how you got new members to join. Speaking of, "Where are you from?" He returned conversationally.

"speech."

Sorcha Munro
The Butterfly

"Nah, dead don't wake for no one." He was clearly quite comfortable here, disregarding her warning without a second thought - too fixated on his meal, apparently. Sorcha found herself fighting the urge to roll her eyes. He finished slurping up the remnants of yolk and turned to face her fully for the first time.

He gave the name of his birth pack, unfamiliar to Sorcha and not of Cyrileth, useless to her, so it was information she was quick to disregard.

"Although, if you mean now then I live in the Pine Forest with my pack." There was the confirmation she had been looking for. "Where are you from?"

“The Pine Forest, originally.” She echoed his first statement, a bitterness that she could not shake lacing her tone. She huffed softly, before stretching, aiming to shake some of the tension from her body. The male had been friendly towards her so far, but he was large, and far better fed than she. Now was not the time to be making enemies. “Not for some time now, though. I didn’t even know that a pack had moved in. I hope it’s treating you well.” She continued casually, hoping that her frustration at her current situation was no longer showing.

“Does your new pack have a name, then?” This she was curious about - just who had decided to be the first to claim the Pine Forest, and how much was this male willing to tell her.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

@Mordecai

M O R D E C A I

The woman answered his question easily enough, her words held a certain bitterness to them. It was obvious that with the creation of Indrani that she had now been ousted. Oops. There wasn't much that could be done about it now but he still felt bad that this woman's home was now no more. "Well, uh, you could join my pack if you wanna have your home back. Wouldn't be the same but it's somethin' right?" Something was better than nothing, right? At least he was trying and not just flippant with the mention of her home being taken.

Soon enough the bitterness he'd heard in her tone seemed to evaporate and there was a genuine sense of her trying to continue on the conversation without ire. "Yeeaah, it's a real nice place. An' you've probably not known because we haven't been around that long." Mordecai generally wasn't the suspicious sort and as long as someone seemed friendly he was pretty much an open book. Such showed now as he spoke easily with the woman, feeling no need to withhold information from one who seemed nice enough at the moment. Besides, why could telling her information be bad? Maybe she'd want to join and then there would be another member for Indrani!

"The Indrani Kingdom. My friend Cheiren is the queen." One hind paw lifted so that he could lazily scratch at an itch on his shoulder, the epitome of someone calm and cool without a single care in the world.

"speech."

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.