Hello guest! Would you like to or Register? If this is your first visit to the site, please be sure to read our Handbook

[ AW ] blackbird fly [ursa/aw]
Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

Stardust: 95✪

ISARA

“Nomi?” my voice creaked out permeating the silence that surrounded me. My voice was quiet and barely floated upon the air as I called out to my mother. She hadn’t moved for a while - I hadn’t even noticed her take a breath for some time. It never occurred to me that she was no longer there. I mean the bad wolves had left us there...or more so left her there since they weren’t aware that I was even here. It had been some time since they left so it should have been safe for us to move again, right? “Nomi, gyon op,” slowly I crept towards my mother and nudged her with my nose, but as soon as the tips of my paws hit the red liquid that pooled around her deep down I knew. Hot tears burned at my eyes and my breaths began to shake within my little body as I began to mourn the loss of the only family I had - the only family I had ever really known. I wanted to scream - wanted to yell to the ends of the unknown until I couldn’t anymore.

But I couldn’t do that.

Mama had given up so much to try and get me out of the darkness that held us both prisoner. Mama had tried so hard to give me what she called the world. And it was my fault that she failed. It was my fault that she could never see that dream of hers come to light. It was my fault that she was dead. All. My. Fault. Eyes widened and my body collapsed within the pool of blood as I realized that I had just as much part in my mother’s death as those that had taken her life. If I hadn’t of hesitated upon leaving the cave. If I had just listened to her orders without thinking or being scared...maybe, just maybe she would still be alive. Maybe she would have taught me about this outside world of which I knew nothing about. Sure I had heard a few words here and there but I was never able to put pictures or items to those words.

Hours passed as the warmth and light of the day yielded to the cooler darkness of night. At least I knew of those terms I guess. It was with the coming of the darkness that I began to gather myself together a little bit. Reluctantly I said my goodbyes to my mama reciting the words that she would say every time someone left the caves and didn’t return, “Kom folau, oso na gyon op.” I never truly understood the meaning behind the words but it just...felt right? Then with tears streaming silently down my face, I left under the guise of the night - running until I could run no more.

For days and nights on end, I traveled with the most extreme caution. I feared that those who had kept my mother and me as slaves would find me at any moment and in all honesty, I could have been traveling in circles and not known it. I was tired. I was hungry. But I was determined to get far away from where I had started out. Eventually, the blood from my mother had dried up and fallen off my fur only to leave me with reddish stains upon my fur. If I had taken the time to look at myself within some of the water I passed, I would have noticed just how messy I was and how unhealthily skinny I looked, but I didn’t dare because I already knew how much I looked like my mama. Pangs of guilt and sadness echoed within me as I thought of her. Why...why did I have to hesitate? Why did I have to be scared of leaving the cave? Why couldn’t I had just listened to mama’s orders? All of these were questions that kept creeping up within my mind. They were even swirling around in my mind as I cautiously crept to the edge of a giant rock. I had seen plenty of rocks within the cave, but I had never seen any like the ones I was started to run into.

When I reached the edge of the rock, my dual toned eyes beheld a sight of which I had never seen before. The world stretched as far as I could see and it seemed like it was covered mostly in these taller things that seemed to grow out of the ground. Although...the more I looked at them they were different than most of the ones I had seen thus far. The things on them were pointy rather than flat. Then before I knew it something started to float towards me. It was pale in color and appeared to be...fluffy? Ever so slowly it drifted towards me as it hovered in the air dancing with the little bits of the wind that wafted through the area. For a moment, I forgot about my desire to keep hidden and instead curiously tried my best to reach my nose out to the alien thing before me - trying to sniff it all the while. While attempting to reach out to this fluffy floating thing, I also managed to forget where I had been standing and quickly felt myself begin to fall. Luckily, the fall wasn’t too far, but it still managed to put me right in the open and up against a rock that I couldn’t climb upon even if I wanted to. For a moment I froze as my eyes darted to and fro hoping that nobody saw me. When my eyes didn’t see another wolf my body instinctively thrusted myself towards something that was like the taller things with the flat bits on them. Only this one was low and close to the ground. Normally my thoughts would have filtered through and guessed what this thing was, but instead, my mind was more focused on hoping that wolves from the caves hadn’t spotted me. Only time would tell, so like my mama had told me before, I would wait in this strange outside world...alone.

“speech, hover for translations”

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

LunarSolstice

Stardust: 420✪

It had not been long since the bear of a male had traversed the pine groves but it had been so long since he had been so far south of it, not since last fall to be precise when he had followed an urge that never was satisfied and faded. Heavy paws flicked stone and spines, turning loose dirt and crushing the occasional pinecone into pieces with each twist of his wrist. No matter what stood in his line, it never lasted long if it did not bend to his confident strides or scurry off out of sight. In this case, he was even more full of himself than normal, having caught a large enough prey to last him for days if not a week or two if he didn't exert too much energy. His signature twisted grin tarnished by the girth of the creature that swayed in tune with the gait that never once was impeded. Now where to eat it?

Lavender gaze flickered from one place to the next as he tried to negate any places less than fitting for his feast among feasts, longing to sip more than just the blood that oozed out of bite marks on its hide. Orbs stopped on a few places, a small creek to the barren land that had lesser trees or really anything to call their own. None of it was quite fitting, the chill of water reminding him of bitter times and haunting faces. Those would not do him any good if he wished to keep his sanity in check, the last thing he desired was to go deranged and manic again. Calm, pristine and absolute; that was what he strived for and what he expected others to see him as. No, no, that won't do. It would not do at all. There were other places he could go or see, ever fixed into finding a place as smooth and tidy as was possible in the wild of nature.

A small smile formed past the chocolate fur that filled his mouth, tail giving a small sway of satisfaction as he sauntered over to some flattened rocks that overlooked the landscape. It didn't take him long to gracefully glide over the terrain and navigate the path up to the high up ledge that lead toward the ever daunting caves, a place he often avoided as trouble was not something he enjoyed muddying himself with. He had heard countless stories of thieves and brothels claiming the place as their home, as much as he was willing to steal himself, there wasn't a single hair on him that craved the embrace of a strange woman's body against his own. It was uncouth and barbaric to use such desperate women as a bargaining tools, even an unsightly woman deserved some respect so long as they didn't fester like a infected wound with annoyance.

Without much thought, he placed himself down upon the stone, cold against his belly though welcomed as it took away some the heat of long travel. The sensation even more welcomed as it took out the aches in his scarred paws, the feeling limited there but what could be felt was a blessing to their normal discomfort. Once the initial cooling on his pads were gone, he released the prey onto his crossed forelegs, prepping it with his muzzle into the perfect position so he would have access to its organs, eager for the gamey flavors to fill his mouth and fend off his gluttony for a while.

Just as he was sinking his subtly wheat colored teeth into his latest meal; the faint sound of something smacking into the ground interrupted the process of primal actions. Lifting his head away from the smooth pelt, crimson decorating his stark goatee and mustache, his ears surveyed the air for further vibrations to tickle the plush fur of his ears. At first he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until a small shrew moved out of the corner of his eye and really was all it looked like at first, a large shrew with a tinted red coat. However, with further inspection before the creature hid into the pillars of green, the sight of a child became more apparent. An ugly child at that.

"How quaint..." he sputtered along a breath.

It was rather comical to him the way the youngster moved but all the same he could tell they were young. Lifting his head up toward the air, he took in the scents around him and mentally tossed out the strong fragrance of the capybara on his legs, even opening his mouth some to take in each note as well as possible. There was a pinch of death in the air, the smell of a youth and the ever powerful fumes of the wood around them. Perhaps the red on their pelt wasn't as natural as it looked but as he lowered his head, they weren't in the open any longer. Tilting his head ever so slightly, a chuckle rattled from his throat and he wondered just what happened to the little shrew, one thing he was certain about was that their mother was not here as two scents of wolves were there but they both came prominently from where the toddler had gone. One of those were stale and irony. Too lazy to get up, he proceeded to gorge himself and wait to see if the smell of food would cause the little one to come out once more.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

[Image: chibi_ursa_by_reesekitty_14-dcpoz5h.png]
Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

It didn’t take long for my dual colored eyes to spot the form of another wolf from within my cover. Immediately I began to panic. Did they see me? Did they hear me? Are they from the caves? Were they here to take me back? Had they followed me all this time? Eyes drifted over their much larger build and then fell upon whatever thing they had what I would guess killed and were now eating. A single gulp plummeted down my throat and breaths quickened as a single other question filled my very being: Were they going to kill me too?

Due to my initial worry for finding cover, I hadn’t heard their strange words as they had obviously noticed me, however, I did notice them sniffing the air. Were they able to smell me? Breaths continued to go at a quickened pace as I fretted over what to do. Surely I could’ve tried running but chances were that this wolf was able to catch up to me and stop me. I could have remained here where I was but what if they decided to come to me - what would I do then? There was also the option of going to them but as of right now with all the unknowns and my own fear, I just couldn’t even manage to make myself budge closer to them.

Breathing froze as I watched the other wolf’s gaze fall back down and in my direction. They knew where I was. They had seen me. Tears formed in my eyes and began to fall upon my already dirtied and stained fur. I had failed. I had failed my mama. This wolf had found me. This wolf was probably going to take me back to that cave. And I don’t think I would ever be able to work up the courage to escape from there on my own.

The sound of the other wolf laughing caught me from my spiral. Why were they laughing? Did they find this funny? Did they follow me just for fun? Were they getting enjoyment out of making me fear for my life? Every fiber of my being trembled as I began to fear this wolf even more. But when the wolf went and started eating the strange creature that they had killed, I was left confused. Were they toying with me or did they just simply not care about me and what I did? Just what were they planning? What was I supposed to do? They obviously knew where I was. They obviously had seen me. And I knew well enough that if I did try to run they would surely catch me.

Time passed quietly by as I tried to think of how to get out of my sticky situation. How could I get away from this other wolf without them following me or catching me and bringing me back to that cave? But even as I remained where I was, they remained where they were as well eating the thing that they had killed. Rumbles echoed within my body as watching the other wolf eat reminded me of just how hungry I was myself.

But I couldn’t bring myself to move either towards or away from them. The fear of being caught and being forced back into the prison of darkness immobilized me. Muscles stiffened over time I had spent observing the other wolf with the thought that they were probably there to bring me back. I couldn’t even move if I had wanted to. What was I supposed to do?

What would my mama do?

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

LunarSolstice

With each regal yet in some way primal movement of his muzzle, tinted teeth yanked apart the victim at her his paws, splitting the stomach in half. First he went for the heart, his favorite muscle that always seemed to still be beating under his scrutiny. The muscle tense and firm as he yanked it free from the wiring within, the small pop of each artery and crack of rib sent a feeling of pleasure rippling along his spine. Even if he had no desire to kill another of his own species, the dismembering of prey was another story. The metallic gamey taste, aroma, the way the carcass lay limp and the body became more and more lifeless; was so beyond enjoyable to the robust male of gluttony. He always ate far more than he needed and really he didn't need food now, enough fat reserved to last him weeks but that didn't stop him from indulging. When something so rare among the woodlands came out to play, whom was he to say no to their welcome? He did not dare ignore its offer, it would be rude. Criminal. He would not ignore the gods gift.

With each vigorous movement of his jaw muscles, he was becoming both more and more full as well as crimson in hue. The juices slip from his ebon lips and stained the strands of white that decorated his face and chest. He was no pig, however, and yielded in his little gluttonous adventure to groom away the wine that wished to linger. A puce tongue flickered with purpose to lap away the remains of his deed, though he was not done with his meal in the slightest, he could return to it later after a sip from a nearby stream.

There was one thing that kept him from doing so though, to meander along on his way wasn't an option like it normally was, there was something that didn't leave his mind. His head turned toward the jade bush that the child had seen slithered into, scared and quick for cover. His eyes did not rest on it though, scanning the nearing shrubbery for any sign of the hazelnut, fawn, wheat and chestnut colored pelt the infant was cloaked in. The chestnut being the most foreboding shade that decorated the tiny thing, certain no wolf of the other colors would be holding such a deepened red hue. He had seen plenty of blood in his day, mostly his own, to know it was that of old blood but not the goop that matted. They must have worn it for a long time for it to take the way it had but to what extent, he could not say, he only seen the shortest of glimpse in the time it took them to freeze then find sanctuary.

Such a small being would be weak and desperate but apparently not desperate enough, the scent of food doing not drawing them out in the least but alas, he was a man of patience and could play their little game for a long time. He had nowhere else to be, he was merely a hermit of these lands, though not necessarily by choice alone as he had been seeking a pack to stay in and flourish in the way a loner could never do. Scavenge from those easy enough to manipulate and coax into doing his bidding but so far his luck was neigh.

With a dragged in breath that filled his lung, expanding his diaphragm and making him look even bigger, before expelling it in one fowl swoop; he chose to stand. His body large and figure intimidating, pride pouring off him as he glanced over the horizon one last time before making up his mind. Soon something far more dangerous than him could be waking and he wasn't much for confrontation of the physical sort, he hadn't the time to waste playing the games till the end of time if the child didn't want to become a true bear's meal.

Leaning his head down, he yanked the best organs from carcass, stripping away the liver and intestine where all the nutrients lied in the body for a predator like himself to dine on. Instead eating them, he jumped down from his perch, paws crunching down the thick grasses and walked toward the location the other hid from sight. As he got closer, he could see the faintest bit of gleaming where young eyes reflected the light around them and giving away their location. Paws stopped a solid couple meters away, tilting his head in thought as he recalled how small they were. There was a good chance the sandy stranger was barely off mother's milk, the chance they could eat food fully solid wasn't the most likely as far as he could tell. Setting down the portion of intestine he had not already eaten, he proceeded to masticate the liver to much smaller pieces to allow for easier consumption. Carefully, he took two more steps forward to drop the remains onto the ground in a pile, his teeth having ground down the specimen to a fine cud before backing up a few steps once more.

"No blemish will become of you, derisory hummingbird," he cooed, voice smooth as velvet but masculine. To appear less foreboding, he proceeded to lay down so he was as small as possible, waiting to see if they might reveal themselves.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

Time became seemingly endless as I watched with horror-filled eyes as the other wolf tore and shredded their meal. With each pop and saturated squish, I felt my heart skip. Then began the pooling of the blood. Pupils dilated for seeing the fresh blood reminded me of the blood that formed around my mama - the blood that I had laid in, and presently covered most of my body albeit all dried up now. Why were they doing this? Why were they making a spectacle of them killing and eating something? Did they want me to remember my mama’s death? Did they want me paralyzed with fear that I could very well be the next creature within their jaws? Just what did they want and why?

Thoughts stilled as I witnessed the other wolf begin to clean themselves. Slowly, they licked away the crimson color that had covered them. Was that what I should have done oh so long ago? Is that something that my mama would have done? My wondering was short-lived however for before I knew it the other wolf then began looking in my direction. This time though, they seemed to be scanning the area. Did they expect me to try and run away when it was obvious that they could probably outrun me?

Moments passed as they decided to get up. They looked so much larger when standing. Next to them, I would appear almost microscopic and…wait…what were they doing? Panic began to fill me as I noticed the other wolf walking towards me halfway through my thoughts. With each progressing step, my body hugged the ground tighter and tighter until it couldn’t budge anymore. Ears pinned themselves to the back of my skull in a submissive manner. I wanted to run. I wanted to get away from here...from them. There was just one problem though - I couldn’t bring myself to move. Despite how terrified I was, despite how much my muscles wanted to take off and carry my body away from here, they wouldn’t move. I was going to die. They were going to kill me much like they had their meal. Much like slavers did my mama and there wasn’t anything I could do besides staying completely still and wish for it to be over.

Waiting for the worst to come, my eyes clamped shut. And as a last ditch effort I somehow magically found the strength to manage to scream out some begging, “Beja, nou frag op Ai! Ai nou gaf in gon bak op!” However what I had been expecting to happen never did. Ears flicked forward cautiously as I heard what I had thought was his food hit the ground in front of me. Curiously my silver and teal eyes peered at the pile of food that this other wolf had dropped before me.

What was going on here? Was he not with my mama and I’s enslavers?

Eyes flicked from the pile of food to the earthy and stone colored wolf as I tried to understand through my confusion. Was he giving me this food? I didn’t understand. I was sure that they were going to take me back to that cave or kill me. But if that was the case then why would they feed me? The guards had never been kind. I don’t even remember how many times I’d seen my mama beat up for just for simply being how pretty she was.

It wasn’t until I heard this other wolf’s voice that I began to possibly think that he wasn’t associated with my enslavers. For one, my enslavers never spoke to anybody with the tone that he produced. It sounded almost as if he was trying to calm me down or something right before he laid down before me, but a little ways off. Second, I didn’t even understand a single word that he had spoken. I didn’t even recognize the language at all. Had I somehow managed to get someplace without running into much of any problems? Had I really lost my enslavers?

Rumbles within me caused my gaze to shift between the other wolf and the pile of food. I was really hungry. And this other wolf did seem to be desiring to help...or at least that’s more so what I had hoped. With extreme caution, I carefully took a step towards the pile of food while keeping my eyes on the other wolf the entire time. Slowly I made my way over to the food - revealing myself entirely as I did so - and once I was there, I sniffed it curiously. I didn’t know what it was but if he had eaten it, it must have been safe, right? Eyes glanced back up at the other wolf as a way to make sure that he wasn’t playing any sort of games and once I was sure I began eating.

It probably wasn’t a pretty thing to watch me eat. I didn’t really have much experience eating solid foods and I was also starving. Messily, I gorged upon whatever bits of food this stranger had given me. Every now and then, of course, I would quickly glance his way - keeping a note to where he was and what he was doing. With every movement that he would make I would move the opposite if it were possible without leaving the food. Once I was done, perhaps I’d get the chance to learn more about this wolf and where I was and if they were part of my enslavers or not, but first I would eat until I could eat no more.

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

LunarSolstice

Before he had spoken himself, it appeared the child had finally brought themselves forth but not in the sense of moving, rather shouting in horror, completely and utterly terrified of the intimidating looking man he was. There was no doubt in his mind that he had never heard the language before but he was fairly certain it was along the lines of: Please stay away from me! I don't want to die! He was more than likely wrong but that didn't change the fact the tone was begging to be spared, something he would normally laugh at, especially along the male variety. However, what he could make out from the tiny shew, this was very much a female by the inflection of their voice and two, this was nothing more than a scared child. To laugh would be crude and counter productive; scaring someone, already so scared, away. So instead of pushing forward, he waited even more, patient as an angler fish waiting for a prey item to catch it's lure.

Oh what's this!? After a long pause after his voice spilled along the woodland floor, the little hummingbird came out of hiding, looking rather disoriented and cautious, if not completely chilled to the bone. Lavender eyes met that of one teal and one mostly silver spectacle, if only for a brief moment before they moved to engorge themselves. The youngster's eyes cloaked by the fur along their brow as they proceeded to eat in a quite distasteful manner, each bite without any elegance in the miniscule bones. The petrified way they watched him through a veil of darkened fur, he saw himself faintly, recalling so many bad memories from when he was raised to be something he wasn't and still rebutted what his father wanted him to become. Taking in a breath, he suppressed that thought for now, he needed not to think about such heinous times or he might madden and forget what he was dealing with now.

What would his mother do?

Juna had been such a delicate woman, elegant and kind, the complete reverse of the rest of his kin. Without much thought, a hum of a song gently started to buzz from his throat, recalling a lullaby she would sing for him whenever he was scared or wounded. He did not bring himself to sing the words just yet, only offering a soothing set of notes to wash over the toddler in front of him. His head rested down onto his paws, watching her for a while before allowing his gaze to drift away entirely. There was no reason for him to be leery, even if they wanted to attack him, such a small set of baby teeth could not harm him beyond a pinch and if they struck in a less furred area, maybe a touch of crimson could be drawn. Despite her scent being musty with strong tones of mildew, mold, algae, stagnant pools and earth, the ever present fragrance of the caves; he did not get any nauseating whiff of illness along the air. For the most part, they appeared healthy beyond the need of a good cleaning and sustenance, that alone was weight off his shoulders.

Thinking of cleaning, he was tempted to scoop her up and bring her to the stream not too far away to both clean the red off and allow her something to quench a parched tongue. Groom away the remains and curl her up into his thick pelt. He did not budge any closer though, he was not going to overstep her bounds. Trust was needed to be granted some before he would invade her personal bubble; something he wished others would have done for him so long ago. So, he raised to his feet slowly and took a couple more steps back before turning away from her toward where the corpse was left but stopped half way over, ushering her to follow him with a calm sway of his head toward where he was going.

"Thirsty, sediento? Water, agua?" he asked tenderly, knowing well that the question might not be understood in either language he knew fluently but it was worth a shot. There could be that off chance a word will align to her own language.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

As I ate, I soon became less and less messy as my stomach grew fuller and fuller. In the beginning, I didn’t even really notice the taste of the food I was eating but now...now I found myself savoring each bite as if it were a delicacy. I didn’t know what all this wolf had given me but with each squish of the mix of food, I tasted so many things. First I noticed that the food was so soft and juicy. Then part of it had this weird flavor to it that I couldn’t entirely describe, but it was a tad bit chewier than the other part. The second part was definitely more tender and squished more than the other bit. It also had a decent flavor to it...I paused as the taste reminded me of the smell of blood. With sorrow filled eyes, I looked down upon what remained of my food. This creature probably had a family somewhere - loved ones that were now mourning its death. Family members much like me. And yet I also couldn’t help but think it tasted so good. What was wrong with me?

Just as I thought I was going to start crying again, a sound permeated through the air - seemingly dancing and lilting upon the air with its low bass notes that seemed to coo and lull one into certain tranquility. It took me a minute for my swiveling ears to pinpoint that the sound was coming from the other wolf. Eyes softened slightly as I slowly began to think that perhaps this wolf wasn’t with my enslavers. Maybe they were just someone I had randomly happened upon within my travels? Slowly, I could feel my exhausted self try to slip into the world of dreams… or in my case nightmares. But I still didn’t feel entirely safe so I fought against the exhaustion.

Honestly, it wasn’t too hard to stay awake for not long after the other wolf had sung he laid there before me watching me. Was I really that interesting? It was kind of unnerving to have someone watching every move I made. What did he expect for me to do? Run? Like I could have run away to begin with let alone now that I had eaten. Was he waiting for me to fall asleep? Was that his plan from the beginning? To lull me into a false sense of security and then whisk me off back to the cave once they had an open opportunity? No… for some reason I didn’t want to believe that anymore. This wolf seemed...different. They acted differently. A guard from the cave would never have given me food like that or even hum a song akin to something my mama used to do for me. But even still, I didn’t know who he was, where I even was, or what his intentions were. He could have been a real killer for all I knew and this was just his game leading up to my death.

It sure would’ve helped if I could understand whatever he had spoken with before.

Attention snapped to him though once I saw him get up and start to walk away. My head cocked slightly to one side - allowing one ear to fall over and lean on the other - as I stared at him. Was he leaving? Before I could even think another thought though the other wolf stopped in his tracks and turned back to me and moved his head in a way that seemed to register to me as a ‘come with me’ gesture. Shortly after his voice echoed within the area in his low notes. With the first few strange words I was about to give up even trying to understand whatever it was he was trying to say, but then he said a word that I found to be similar to another in my tongue. Did he know my language? My face scrunched up slightly as I registered the term water as my own woda. Perhaps he knew my language but just didn’t pronounce it right? It sounded pretty funny for all I knew.

“Woda?” my soft voice radiated gently throughout the area as I curiously started walking towards this other wolf and following him wondering if we really were able to understand each other. The chances were probably slim, I guess...but one could hope, right? I deserved to hold some hope about something...right?

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

LunarSolstice

As he stood there for the time it took anything else to happen, his thoughts went to the stars and let out a heavy sigh, thinking they were the ones doing this as a form of punishment for other things she had done. If not for what he had done to his brother, than perhaps what had become of the young woman that he had came across what felt like forever ago but wasn't even a year yet that they met. When he had neglected his duties by leaving to find a pack mostly for himself, leaving her unattended to be whom knows where right now. The only thing he could hope for was that she wasn't dead or worse, some toy for someone else that had nothing but sadism in their hearts or lack there of. He was no saint but he still housed many morals under his thick, large skull that stayed still as he waited for her to join him or be stuck even further into an endless game of distrust. He couldn't blame the child, from the look of her, she had only seen the hells of this world so far. Such a short miserable life she must lead.

It was a miracle she was even alive right now, certain a lesser child would be well buried deep in the ground or a vultures meal. Head tilted as he watched her reaction to his inquiry, waiting to see if she would understand and at first it looked like she was rather confused but there was some recognition in her face at the word so simple as water. Was it a word she knew or was it simply him hitting a nail on the head with something similar aligning them into understanding? Either way, he didn't look past a gift, he would take all the help he could get in making sure this child didn't die under his watch right now.

Though, why did he care? Why did he always have to hold sympathy for such meager creatures such as this? It felt like a curse that followed him since he could remember; taking care of an ill brother, not long after a frail woman, meeting someone half blind and two others he deemed mentally challenged by how they talked or acted, and now this pitiful excuse for life. It didn't do him any favors, it was a burden yet he couldn't look the other way and pretend they didn't exist. A child needed protection, not an early end or a cruel life.

Usually unreadable eyes shifted to that of warm ones as the small legs of the other headed toward him instead of running away or staying frozen in place, offering her a calm nod and smile. "Verily, water," he confirmed with a slightly more gruff inflection. Slowly he reached down and scooped up the remains of the prey, wondering if the other was still hungry or if he should rid of the carcass before something could take notice of the smell and locate them. After only a seconds thought, he decided it best to hold onto it until slumber might approach, a wolf so young would need more steady nourishment and he sure wasn't going to go hunting again today, they could dine on the remains if they needed. If something so vile did decide to show up, he'd decide then what to do.

With those thoughts tucked away, he directed them toward a stream that wasn't too far away, ears flickering to keep track of her tiny paws trailing behind him, still concerned she would be ignorant enough to flee. Each step he took eroded the plants they pressed upon, rocks turned and twigs snapped with little to no care. He kept alert to the best of his abilities, intent on not allowing the worst to befall them. After a few yards they came across a rushing stream, twinkling the surrounding light like diamonds and reflecting the canopy above. Pine was becoming a stronger and stronger fume as they had gone further away from the caves, taking over one's sinuses in a overwhelming blanket of perfume. It was a scent he never found pleasant but others seemed to bask in its glory, all it brought him was a headache and bad memories.

Setting the prey item down far from the shore line, he proceeded to move closer to the rushing water that he doubted would be deep enough to drag her away for good. Rock bed dug into his dark pads, wedging annoyingly in-between his toes but they did not hurt, half his feeling gone there from callouses and scars built up over time. Once at the edge of where stone touched water, he looked back at the youngling before lowering his head to drink in the chilled refreshment, to show it was safe to lap up. His throat soothing with each passing flick of his tongue, coating it and washing away the flesh stuck between teeth and gum.

Would she join him?

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

The appearance of this other wolf’s eyes did not go unnoticed. Before they were just purple and void of anything distinguishable. But now...now they seemed to change and seemed to hold a certain warmth that washed over me that I found odd coming from someone else besides my mama. This was so very strange. This wolf... why were they being so...nice? Why did they care if I was hungry? Why did they seem to care if I needed water - if that’s what they had been talking about? Eyes beheld him, full of curiosity. He wasn’t like the guardians at the cave. At least, he wasn’t acting like them right now. Instead, he spoke some weird language and seemed to actually care about my wellbeing…

It was something new and unknown to me.

With a nod and a smile….a smile? The guards had never smiled like that. Their smiles always seemed filled with some other emotion than this one I currently saw. Anywho with a nod and a smile, the other wolf spoke again with his weird language followed by his weird pronunciation of woda. Was he trying to say woda but kept saying it slightly differently? Did he just have some sort of accent that caused for his way to say woda to sound differently than I had ever heard it?

After he grabbed the food to take with him, I quietly followed behind him. He, on the other hand, was noisy as he walked. Sounds of snaps and crinkling of the plants that grew out of the ground filled the air enveloping us as we traveled. It was as if he didn’t care if he was found or not. Even with each rock that grounded against another I tensed up and would pause to look around - praying to whomever that my enslavers didn’t find me. But they never seemed to come. Did I really lose them?

The scent in the air changed to something stronger. Something that I couldn’t really place, but despite that, it burned my nose all the same. It was kind of annoying out here really. Things that I didn’t know like this scent and the plants coming from the ground tickling my underbelly. If I knew what they were perhaps it wouldn’t be so annoying. But along with being annoying, it was also amazing. Everything seemed to take my breath away.

Including the water that other wolf lead me to. Dual toned eyes grew wide with awe as I stared the biggest amount of water I had ever witnessed. It...it was so pretty. The way that the light seemed to bounce off of it in glistening gleams. It was also moving! I didn’t know that water could move like that. All the water I had ever seen were just stagnant puddles up until now. Eyes only tore away from the water for a second as I looked at the other wolf as he reached down to drink from the water.

Suddenly my little body filled with a newfound energy that I had not been aware of before. A certain type of energy that seemed to overflow to the point where I couldn’t contain myself anymore. With excited leaps, I bounded towards the water and promptly jumped into it. Once in it, I buried my muzzle into it and bit at the water rushing towards me as I pressed my body against the cool wet stone covered bottom. Without realizing that this action was essentially cleansing my fur of the mess it had held, I continued my shenanigans until eventually the sight of something moving in the water caught my eyes. Not knowing what it was or if it was something dangerous, I quickly jumped out of the water with a slight scream as I ran towards the legs of the other wolf. Once I reached his legs I hid behind one of them as I yelled and motioned towards the silvery thing that didn’t seem to follow me and stayed in the water, “Chit ste dei de?!”

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

LunarSolstice

He was pleased to see the small child had followed him, though he couldn't say he was comfortable with how leery she was, looking around frequently with each step they seemed to make. Perhaps it was his belief in the stars that made him blindly follow imaginary trails without so much as a thought put into it, following fate as it took his paws into their guidance, catering to nothing more than that of his own self whims. There was no reason to worry over every little thing, if something happened, it happened; it would be too late to change it once in its snares. He learned that a long time ago, when his father's wrath was absolute and no matter what he did or said would not stop the actions brought down to him. Taking in a steady breath, he supposed even with that he was too scared of everything. Even his own shadow. He could sympathize with the little one on that front but that didn't mean he condoned the stress she was putting on herself, though without a matching language he could not calm her the way he needed to.

Amethysts poised in the ruby tinted sands, tongue stilling before slipping back into the chasm from once it came as little paws started to move toward the crystalline liquid. For how skittish the other one was, he couldn't help the shock that washed over him in a large crash as she appeared suddenly full of energy and eagerness as she propelled herself forward. Perhaps this was why this shrew was still very much alive despite the obvious downturn of life; she was full of vitality, willpower stronger than most adults that took to this land, it was admirable to say the least. A hearty laugh escaping him, staring down at the young one that dared to frolic in something he felt she probably had never seen before. The innocence, as pathetic as he saw it on a grown wolf, was endearing on that of a pup such as this one. They could see light despite the darkness he no doubt believed she endured as he watched the water take on a pinkened hue.

Washing some of the blood her couldn't reach on his own chin, he proceeded to walk a few steps away from the stream so not to soak himself but still kept close enough in case she slipped and got dragged away in the current. For the most part he remained still, watching her every movement as he thought about his next steps, not in terms of the small ones that would transcend immediately after the current. He had to think of things as a whole, where they would go from this point that would be safe enough for a child and not offer him a headache. The best option for any wolf was to grow up in a pack, learn basic values and how to interact with others; learn from more than just one power hungry manifestation like he had been forced to do. He thought of Indrani but recalled the pack was already fallen or they more than likely would have found this small denizen before him, he nothing more than a ghost that would have been chased off if he had defied a membership option. The Fairfolk wasn't an option; the child would be mind washed and there lacked any stardust on this ones pelt, they would likely not take her and he knew they wouldn't take him. Not with what had transpired between him and the mother, he was certain she wanted his head for his hypocrisy toward her beliefs of how the wood came to its demise. Next was the wolves that took over his home, casting him out of the Alpine, though he offered no confrontation to keep it his. Either way they appeared to be nothing more than bandits, a place not fit for a child.

That left one final option, one he had avoided until now but figured it for the best: Astaria Haven. He knew the leader minimally but from what they had discussed along a small pond secluded by trees, she had the proper morals for someone that would not harm a child, even if her tongue was like that of a spitfire infant that learned a new curse word, using it until they grew tired. It was all a matter of how they would get along, if she would even allow him in her pack. Even if she didn't allow him, he was certain they would take the child at the very least. The only dilemma: How would the unnamed child handle the caves from where smelled like they came from? Debatably a sadist in his own right, he had no troubles tormenting a stranger but not when they were a stranger like this one. It lead him to wonder if trust or safety mattered more.

His thoughts were interrupted when the water splashed in a way that alerted him to a frantic retreat instead of play, a scream following shortly after, snapping his head down and brought forth focus on the matter at hand. His gaze traveled over them as they retreated to his legs, an flash of discomfort taking over as his fur stood faintly on end to the sensation of someone so close without warning but it soothed over fairly quickly, taking on a different emotion he was not akin to. The scars on his legs weren't for decoration but rather trauma. With how close she was, she would likely be able to see the dozens of hairline thin scars along the length of his legs. Only when she yelled and pointed did he look away from her, lifting his skull to peer at the water where she aimed herself toward, seeing nothing at first. It wasn't till something caught the sun and moved swiftly as it swam did he chuckle a little. Based on the size and color, he made a guess for it to be nothing more than a harmless silver barb fish.

"Fish. That is a fish little one, a silver barb to be over fastidious. They are not equipped to maltreat you," he breathed past his amusement, leaning down to offer the top of her head a lick of assurance, if she allowed. "Shall I obtain it for you?" he asked, wondering if she would be interested in eating it. Babies did have a habit of putting their mouths on everything to understand them last he recalled, he wouldn't expect any different from this one.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

BIANDRI. Caeleste - Fantasy Equine RPG Intrepid Mortality