Hello guest! Would you like to or Register? If this is your first visit to the site, please be sure to read our Handbook

[ AW ] blackbird fly [ursa/aw]
Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

Stardust: 85✪

ISARA

‘Fish.’ It was the only word that I was able to make out as he licked the top of my head. At first, I thought that maybe he had forgotten the raun part because mama had always described creatures that lived in the water as fish raun. She had described them as scale covered and hard to catch, but she also had said that they were delicious to eat. But I slowly came to realize that he hadn’t forgotten the raun at the end - that he had meant just say fish and only fish.

“Fish raun?” I quietly said as I began to step out from behind the other wolf’s legs. As I did the sight of many scars upon this other wolf’s legs. Mama also had scars. Every time I asked about them though, Mama said that she had gotten them because of how much she loved me. I guess this wolf must have had somebody that he really cared for. It was kind of touching really. Just before I could continue on regarding the fish...I gently reached out and touched the leg closest to me with my nose, “Skarens,” I whispered just loud enough for him to hear. Tears welled up within my eyes as I remembered my mama more and more before I continued, “Yu souda krei hod in du,” I meant what I said but I was guessing he didn’t understand what I had said. After all, it didn’t seem like he really understood or knew my language. Instead, it seemed more like there were similar things but not the same words entirely. Upon seeing the scars though, it changed how I thought of him. No longer did I see him as a potential guard or enslaver in disguise, but as just another wolf who happened to be willing to help me out.

Eventually, I wiped away the tears that stayed within my dual toned eyes upon my legs and then turned my attention back towards the water and the...fish as the other wolf had called them. I wasn’t sure if the fish that I had spotted earlier was still there but there were now more than there was before. “Fish ra…,” I paused for a second mid-phrase as my gaze looked up and met the other wolf’s own gaze. If I was going to talk with him, I had to learn and use his language. “Fish,” I had to force myself to stop as I remembered he only said fish and not fish raun. It felt weird saying it as he had said it, but I guess that’s something that I would have to get used to at some point. After saying the word, I ran curiously to the edge of the water again and began doing some sort of half jumping up and down motion as I tried to get him to come over and join me for I wanted him to catch one of these fish for me, but I just didn’t know how to particularly ask him to. Perhaps I would get lucky?

“speech, hover for translations”

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

post log:

LunarSolstice

Stardust: 355✪

His gaze remained casted down, watching the tiny bundle shift under him and prod him with questioning eyes, as if they were waiting for something yet waiting for nothing all the same. They didn't understand one another apart from the occasional word that might align between languages but that did not mean he didn't understand basic body language, certain she too could study and become well versed in reading others like an open book. Unfortunately, teaching such a thing with the verbal gap between them sent him into what felt like long handed algebra of an equation he did not know how to answer. Just because he had paternal instincts and practice with someone frail before, did not make him one of the all knowing and righteous. Still a mortal with a large chip on his shoulder that never seemed to budge for more than a gentle wiggle to allow brief sanity before returning and threatening to grip him even tighter as if to pull soul from body.

Thoughts did not cease but they were interrupted by the perplex squanders of a meek child with a will to survive, how much a will was to be seen, peaking his interest as she rehearsed a single word he said with one of her own. Was she copying him sputtering from the language here to the one of his mother's tongue, in this case the tongue of her own mother. As words started to bubble in his throat, he witness them separate themselves from his leg but only for a brief moment, taking a stride only to pause and pressed their nose into his large russet and cream forearms. This sent a jolt along his spine, one of discomfort more so than anything, not fearing the child but preferring a warning before such an action was made. As if he could proceed to speak of that request if only until he got used to it, isolating himself for good reason. Where he would normally not bother to bring back old pains by speaking of them, he felt like there would be nothing to worry about speaking where they came from when she would not likely understand. "Scars from an abrasive father..." his voice stark, gruff like a long term smoker, that gentle hue washed away with distant memories. The only thing he held for his father was malice, wishing to see someone that wasn't him, spill the blood of the tyrant along the forest floor or perhaps the poppies would be even better.

His tail curled along his leg as he noticed the child looking closer to tears, a voice trembling with emotion yet he did not understand in the least what she was saying besides what sounded similar to: you. It wasn't long after that his eyes to spot the clear fluid dripping from her eyes and to be honest, this was one thing he didn't know how to react toward. Aside from his own tears blurring his vision as a child, he had very limited experience with others crying besides that of the occasional time his mother would breakdown or the occasional meek wolf he scared. His instinct was to glide his head down and proceed to offer comfort but it seemed he had registered the situation too late and she had become enamored by the fish once again.

Crown raised as she once again said the first thing but stopped part way into the word he did not know the purpose or meaning of. His lips upturned as the little hummingbird peered up for approval from him before repeating only his language. Already the child appeared smarter than most this age, connecting things and problem solving things some adults might have issues with. Perhaps it was merely because of her age that she was shining so bright, still moldable, hungry for knowledge. He followed after her as she beckoned him over but he did not stress what she wanted from him, certain her body had to be full for the time being but instead he relaxed down next to her. The request didn't go unnoticed but he had other things to attend to. "After," he spoke definitively.

"I am Ursa Flores," he introduced, pointing to his body with his nose before then moving and gently nudging her body. "You?" he asked, hoping what yu meant in her language was the equivalent of you in his own.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

[Image: chibi_ursa_by_reesekitty_14-dcpoz5h.png]
Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

Dual hued eyes watched as the other wolf seemed to tense up upon my touch. Confused, I wondered if I had done something wrong. Did I hurt him somehow? He was so much bigger than I was so I didn’t even think that it was possible for me to hurt him. I was just beginning to step away from him as my ears swiveled to catch him saying something - something I yet again didn’t understand fully. The only similar bit was the beginning word: scars. It sounded weird but yet similar to my skaren. Perhaps they meant the same thing? Despite that, however, I felt bad for hurting him or whatever I had done.

“Fiya,” I gently replied before I had moved onwards to the fish. I had wanted him to merely catch one of them so then I could see them outside of the water - perhaps maybe even feel what they felt like. I wasn’t really hungry but just more so curious about the fish than anything else. I even got a little excited when I saw him smile ever so slightly. I guess I had said the word right then. Fish, not fish raun. Fish raun was just fish here. I tried my best to commit the knowledge to memory.

‘After.’ The word was lost on me but the look on his face made it seem like he wasn’t going to be catching any fish for me. Before I could even retaliate, however, he began saying something else. ‘I am Ursa Flores.’ And as he said it I couldn’t help but notice that he pointed to himself. Was he unable to get the fish for some reason? Was he still hurt by what I had done? What was he trying to tell me? My gaze was turned back towards the fish for a brief second as he nudged my body and finally said a word that I actually could understand. You. Did he want me to catch the fish? Perhaps I was the only one able to catch the fish between the two of us?

Head tilted slightly as I tried to process whatever he was trying to convey to me. For some reason, I didn’t think that he was wanting me to catch the fish, but I couldn’t think of anything else really. Maybe if I just repeated what he had said maybe, just maybe that would be the correct answer or at least get him to catch the fish?

“I...yam…,” I began as I slowly stumbled over the words that he had said. They were unknown to me and so I felt like I wasn’t saying something right but I was trying wasn’t I? Wasn’t that enough, “Ursha Floresh.” Wondering what would happen next, my curious gaze looked up to him waiting to see what he would do and if I had responded correctly.

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

post log:

LunarSolstice

His ears swiveled to the single word left before she had departed from his legs, staring at her as he tried to make sense of the word she had said, it sounding more like a name to him than anything else. Freya or Fiji being the words linking in his mind but he shook off the idea that she was giving a name based on the expression on her face, one that seemed faintly apologetic or remorseful for something he was unaware of. He was often ignorant about his impulsive of discomfort from touch, thinking most of his reaction remained in his head or at the very least didn't show beyond the sensations that skidded along his spine. So instead of connection the two together and possibly figuring out what fiya meant, he merely watched on before following along to do as he had. The eyes of disappointment quick to greet him as he had not gone after the fish she had wanted, though that did not mean he wouldn't a little later, he had asked her after all and she had spoke her enthusiasm at the concept. As far as they were in language, the body could speak sometimes far more words and it seemed they both were getting along most on those terms.

As he recited his name and addressed it as himself, he could only see the confusion on the youngling's face as she watched with a perplexed gaze that followed his every movement. It didn't surprise him too much but he had hope she would have figured out what he was trying to say, whom he was and that he desired her name in return. No good could become of this if he had no name to call upon if she ran off or did something foolish, putting herself in danger. The drum of his chest expanded as he took in some air, trying to think of a different approach as the silence was starting to numb his senses. There was a chance someone could also be looking for her that had her best interest in heart, if he knew her name and they asked for her, he could potentially return her to family. Not that he had any faith that such were alive by the state she had been in upon first sight, the tint of bloody dye and the thin frame. Unless her parents were nothing but neglectful bastards, he didn't see a child her age being allowed to wonder the way this one had.

A glimpse of a head tilt, following shortly by the attempt at mimicry had him staring at her for a long while before he couldn't help bursting out in hearty laughter at how he thought that would work in any way. When a child's mind was on one thing over another, there was little chance they could focus on them separately, especially if the child didn't understand a word he said. Admittedly he couldn't tell if she was mimicking just to get praise, trying to understand with rehearsal or if she actually had a complex strain of thought running on in her head. Any which way, what she had done was not the proper answer so he tried to think of another way to go about this. Get what she wanted out of the way, not matter how much that went against his desires of selfishness, then he could have her focus on this. Perhaps the fish itself could be of use in this, a plan forming along in his noggin.

So without further ado, he shook his head in disapproval toward her response once his rumbling roar settled. "No. I fail to give credence to us sharing the same name, hummingbird," he stated sternly, discrediting her attempts to hopefully not cause her to believe that what he was about to do was at all tied to their dysfunctional conversation. If he could not potentially learn her name, he would continue to use the same nickname in hopes she would take it as form of address.

Then he disconnected from her, wading into the water with a calm disposition. Though deer were his favorite prey, fish were a considerable second on his list and therefore he had a fairly good skill cemented in fishing. He would prefer the specimens larger, these small little barbs were not his specialty, much preferring his aquatic hunts to be the size of barracuda or salmon but baggers couldn't be choosers. He stood still in the rushing deeper currents where the child truly could be swept away.

After a long minute or so went by, in a flash his head plunged into the liquid and rebounded back up with a scaled creature flailing helplessly between pristine fangs. Even more than usual, he looked like the creature he was named after, the bear that was supposed to grant him strength, confidence and wit from his mother's odd beliefs. The water slipped down his face though only half his fur had soaked, the roots mostly dry though the drips that slid to his chest had started to drench the longer coat that rested like a shawl. With some vigorous shakes, his fur swayed in cascades and water sprayed out, glistening as they caught the sunlight. Slowly his pelt settled into place while other parts of him were spikey where only the tips were damp, steps raking along the river rocks until he reached the shore where he had left her, flopping the fish down at her feet while it still flopped around for water to fill its gills. Lavender eyes burned into the child as he exhaled and brought his paw down onto the sliver scale, long claws holding it in place.

"Fish," he said as he pointed his nose down toward it. "Water," he stated as he turned his nose to the stream before turning to point at himself once more. "Ursa," he addressed firmly, before then pointing to her. "You?" he asked once more. If word associating didn't work, he wasn't sure what to do next.

------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

Loner

post log:

Nivaeria

ISARA

For a moment, I laid there before the other wolf as I waited for him to react somehow to whatever it was that I had said. My wait, however, was short-lived as he soon laughed once again. Had I said something wrong? Did I do something wrong? What was it that I had even tried to say anyways? A strange feeling grew and simmered within me as he laughed. I didn’t know how to describe the feeling other than I seemed to grow angry. But at the same time, it wasn’t anger either. I had seen anger. I knew what anger was all too well. This wasn’t anger, it was something else. Squirming in place, I stared slightly emotionlessly as he finished up his laughing before continuing to speak to me again in a language that he should have known I didn’t know.

‘No…’ ears tilted forward as the first word was similar to one of my own - despite him saying it funny like with woda. That seemed to be happening a lot actually. First woda and water. Then fish raun and fish. Now it was nou and no. Hopefully, there were more similar words so that one day I could know this language and...

Thoughts became interrupted as the other wolf got up and went into the water. I wanted to follow him in, but where he wound up seemed much deeper than where I had been before. If I were to try and follow him there I probably would have wound up beneath the water myself. Curiously and excitedly I watched him from the shore body hugging the ground and with probably the biggest eyes I have ever had. I wanted to see how he caught fish. I wanted to learn how to do it myself. I wanted to know...everything. At least everything regarding the world outside the cave.

Wide eyes watched as the other wolf stood still in the water - staring into it watching the fish no doubt. Then suddenly his head and mouth reached into the water and when he lifted himself back out I noticed a wriggling thing within his mouth. A cheer rolled off my tongue as I jumped up and down. It wasn’t until then that I realized that I had actually been holding my breath before the other wolf had caught the fish.

By the time he had reached the shore again, I had settled down somewhat. Wide eyes watched as he dropped the fish before me. Curiously, I watched as it flopped about on the ground. Was it not able to walk? Where were its legs...its fur...its teeth? What were the weird things on it that looked like holes in its body that kept opening and closing? I was just about to attempt to poke the fish with one of my paws when the other wolf put one of his paws on top of the fish. Surprised and a little taken aback, I stared up at him as he began to speak.

‘Fish.’ He said and my dual-hued eyes watched as he put his nose down towards the fish. Then he proceeded to do the same thing with water. The third was a word that he had mentioned before, but I did not know the meaning of, but each time he had said it he motioned to himself. Then once again he seemed to point at me and said you. For a few minutes, my eyes cycled through the words that he had said. Fish, water, Ursa, You. Was he trying to tell me to now try to catch a fish as he did? No, that couldn’t be it. The water that he had stood in to get a fish would have been too much for me, right?

“Fish,” I muttered aloud as I tried to piece together the problem that he had given me.

“Woda,” my head turned towards the water as I said it. Eyes grew slightly smaller as I thought harder and harder until finally, it seemed to click somehow.

He was saying what the things were as he pointed to them. The thing beneath his paw was a fish. The water over there was obviously water. Which meant that he was an Ursa. Except he was a wolf like I was...so wouldn’t that make me an Ursa too? So then why was he seeming to ask me a question when he said you?

Unless…

Eyes lit up slightly as I thought I had figured out just what he had been wanting.

“Fish,” I began as I reached out with a single paw towards the fish, “Woda,” I continued as I looked back towards the water for only a brief moment before looking back at him, “Ursa,” I sputtered this time just like he had said it as I tried my best to point towards him. I paused then as I motioned towards myself. I had never said my name to anybody. Only mama had called me by my name and nobody else. Was it okay to tell him my name? Would he even know that it was my name?

“I...Isara,” my name came out much softer than the other words and it also came out sounding slightly like a question as I wasn’t sure if that was what he had wanted. It also felt slightly weird to say my name to someone else, but at the same time it felt...right. Like it was something that I was supposed to do. I waited for a second for my name to dissipate in the air surrounding us before repeating myself in a manner to possibly confirm what I had been guessing at, “Ai tagon ste Isara en yu laik tagon ste Ursa?” I first pointed to myself as best as I could and then pointed to him as I said Ursa. Afterward, I just looked at him seeking approval or something that would suggest that I was right. Hopefully, I was right in guessing that he wanted to know my name and that Ursa was his. If it wasn’t well then I don’t know what he wanted but maybe I would find out someday...just not today apparently.

@Ursa

table made by soar
Loner

post log:

LunarSolstice

The bear's ears flicked feverishly at the eruption of cheer that could be heard over the water spraying off of him and back down to settle into the stream below, not really expecting such excitement from the little one. Could water and food really heal such weakness so quickly, he could only wonder that, or if the child simply had never been all that weak to begin with. It was odd but he was starting to gain some respect for her, she was a fighter that might be able to pull through anything if the time arise to put her into such a predicament once again. Perhaps he would be what his dad had wanted if he had such spirit and willpower at such a young age, unfortunately that didn't come till far later in his life well past being a drone for the old man to command. It gave him more reason to think a pack would be best for her, a place to let her drive flourish into something greater than a loner, it would also up her chances of survival under more than one wolf's care.

Reaching the shore, he noticed her sudden hesitance when he had firmly pressed her paw onto the wiggling vermin to prevent its escape and to show he wanted her focus. He wasn't sure if he should expect her to really listen to him as he rallied off his little show and tell project or if she would get distracted and focus only on the fish before them. It seemed it was the second option as she watched him, following everywhere he pointed and her ears also moved in recognition. His tail remained stiff and still as he waited, watching his little hummingbird think and process, this time she seemed to be piecing things together with passing glances of each object he had laid out before her with a word of his own language. He didn't give up hope on her just yet and he didn't intend to until she fell on her face with something that could sound like idiocy when one looked only at their own perspective.

Soon he watched her mimic him again, though not as directly this time as she moved a oversized paw for her body at the things that matched the name, giving a nod as she spoke his name. His nails started to uncoil from the scaled specimen under his paw as she faltered as she landed on herself, going silent as she seemed to go into deep thoughts once again. His breath hitched as she seemed to be taking forever, time standing still between them as he remained idle in wait for her to either say some version of you to once again copy him in full but it never came. Instead a staggered word came from her lips that sound much more like a name than anything else she had said thus far. Now was it a name? He couldn't be certain just yet but he could think it meant anything else other than maybe a wolf. However, would she not have said the same word to address him as well if that were the case?

Then she went on, speaking in a whole sentence with a few words that seemed to translate beyond the name etched into the question as well as pointing between them. Ai could be the same as I and yu the same as you. Then the word tagon repeated twice along his ears but unfortunately he could not adhere them to any word in his language right this moment besides tangent or tiger but that was definitely not what she meant. She was distinguishing between them whom was whom, so that was all that matter to him right now. "Isara," he repeated her name along his tongue, dripping with honey as he looked down at her. Taking a step forward, he pushed the fish back in front of her as a prize more or less for her competence. "Brava," he encouraged celebration with an approving grin. If she did not dodge him, he would plant a gentle kiss atop her head with a small sway of his tail.

Carefully he moved around to behind her and laid down with his forearms resting on the ground poised a on each side of her, looking at her and contemplating if he should allow her to celebrate for a bit or do what he had been plotting to do since he pretty much saw her. If she hadn't leapt away, a large paw would scoop her toward him and against his chest so he could partake in cleaning off any remaining gunk from her fur. He wasn't much for invading other's space physically but he had to make an exception when it came to the welfare of a child. He would take as long as needed to make sure her fur was as pristine as his own. No ugly children allowed under his watch.

-fade out to annoying parental cleaning-
------------

"Speaking"

@Isara | notes

BIANDRI. Caeleste - Fantasy Equine RPG Intrepid Mortality