FOLKLORE

[ P ] Sunrise

▼ Marcellus Varus ▼

Instead of heading west, he decided to head south today. He'd had no luck on the plains, but there'd been an interesting river he'd decided to follow through a pass. If he had to guess, he'd guess it led to an ocean. Most rivers did if you followed them long enough. Marcel's paw pads ached from walking constantly, but he was becoming tired of looking... sooner or later his search would have to come to an end. He would either find Monroe, or he would have to give up. His stomach knotted -- he had made that very decision not too long ago when he'd decided to give up on finding Jaelin and Titus. All he could do now was hope they returned to him someday, if only for young Titus.

If Jaelin had not wished to be with him... why had she not said so instead of abandoning him and taking their son with? He felt a bitterness about the whole affair, but really it just left him more confused than anything. One day they had been fine and then the next day she'd been gone. No signs, and no warning.

He sighed and suddenly stumbled, partially falling in the rocky stream he was following through the craggy pass. He sunk into the freshwater that he realized was slowly mixing with saltwater. Pale rose eyes lifted and search the area and he noticed he'd walked so far in his head he'd come to a large, spacious bank along the ocean. Sunlight from the ease pooled across it, the sun must be rising where he could not see it. He could smell scents of many other wolves and realized that he'd stumbled across pack borders. Too consumed in thought to notice, he crawled out of the river and shook his golden pelt.

Well... while he was here, he might as well try and ask around the pack to see if any of them knew a Monroe Renovade.

@Monroe

fox

MONROE RENOVADE

The winds that rustled through his den brought pleasing scents of saltwater. It was early morning and Monroe had risen when the sun streamed through the flower-laced Mouth of his small Cavern. He was lucky enough to find this small sanctuary on the rocky hill that towered above the ocean. It was near Blackfoot's large Den; but small enough and more out of the way to avoid most Astarian's. Still, it provided a perfect vantage point over the Vista and a perfect place to watch the sun rise and set over the deep blue ocean.

A pleased groan slipped from his jaws as his nimble frame stretched away the last few fragments of sleep, muscles relaxed as he resumed his natural, timid posture. With a quick shake of his dark golden pelt, the newly appointed Den Father was ready to greet the day.

The sun had put him in high spirits, a yawn opened his maw wide, tongue splaying from his bottom jaw momentarily as he stepped out to overlook his home. To think that it took him a while to settle into Astaria was absurd... now he couldn't imagine life without them.

Yet a hint of gold caught his eye, Violets narrowed as his jaws snapped back shut. No. Blinking, Monroe lowered his face to the ground and wiped one paw over one eye; was he still dreaming? Or perhaps fatigue was still toying with him? No. The figure came more into view; hints of cream separated the light gold... he was not from Idrani... perhaps he was just a new Astarian that he did not have the pleasure of meeting yet? His heart quickened still, chest tightening. Something screamed at him that this was not just a stranger... He glanced towards Blackfoot's den, wondering whether he should disturb the Cheif at such an early hour? No. Before he could decide, paws carried him towards the familiar stranger.

Quickly, slender frame traversed down the hill, yet his dark gaze widened as a set of rose-pink eyes marked the stranger. For once, his gut had been right.
“W-w...what are you doing here?”
The words that fell out of his mouth were harsh and brittle. His throat felt like the air had been squeezed out. He dared to step closer, still hoping that this stranger was not the man Monroe thought to be.
“Dad?”

Marcellus.

Anger quickly over came his shocked expression, burning like the sun through his veins. Why here! Things were great in Astaria; he had the chance to start fresh, without being tainted by the ghost of his past. But as he looked upon his father's eyes, all he could see was his Mother's fleeting last breaths.

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Marcellus

▼ Marcellus Varus ▼

“W-w...what are you doing here?” Immediately, Marcel's head turned towards the voice and his eyes widened. At first he'd thought maybe he'd been hearing things or that the ocean was playing tricks on him somehow, but when he saw his youngest son standing there before him... he knew he was real. “Dad?” They were both surprised to see one another, but Marcel was obviously overcome with relief and happiness. The same could not be said for his son. However, he couldn't stop himself as he quickly closed the cap between them to embrace the boy he'd left behind.

"Son," he breathed, sighing happily. "I thought I would never find you." He had started to give up hope, but Monroe was here now... he was here and he was okay. At least, he looked okay. "Where is you rmother?" he asked. He wondered why Cosette would have brought him here, so far away from home, without telling him.

He didn't know that after he, Gaia and Jaelin left that Cosette had died, leaving Monroe alone to find his own way in the world. If Marcel had known... if he had known any of that could have ever happened, he would have never gone anywhere.

@Monroe

fox

MONROE RENOVADE

Golden fur clashed in light and dark. Yet eventhough the embrace was meant to be a sincere and heart-felt moment... all Monroe could feel was anger. His posture was stiff, cold and un-receptive. His eyes burned with the fresh fill of angry tears as his head rested upon the lean shoulder of his Father. Heart felt tight and rattled against his constricting chest. Why was he here! Just to ruin his happiness yet again?

Son, Rough tones of his Father breathed a sigh as his conflicted heart pulled away from Marcellus' embrace. "I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER FIND YOU. He wanted to be happy. He wanted to jump for joy that someone from home was with him... but he couldn't. Ears pinned to his golden skull, his gaze adverted to the floor to hide away the tears that threatened to fall. He said nothing, but wanted to scream at him. It should have stayed that way. He should have never of come here.

"WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER?" Head snapped upwards as Lavender eyes darkened to a stormy cloud.
“...Y-you don't k-know?”
He couldn't help it now. The anger that released streamed down his face in hot, salty tears.
“Oh w-wait you wouldn't! Because you left! She's dead. Because of you!
He spat out the words angrily, for once he did not stumble, no. They were harsh and bitter, but emotional.
“Gaia died to...You were their last words. You were their death. YOU.”
His lips curled up into a snarl as he quickly turned his head away. He felt nauseous, stomach twisting. Right now; his Father's shocked gaze was the last thing he wanted to see.

He had been so consumed by anger, by shock that he had not realized that he was alone.
“W-where is she? You should go and tell her the good news, you can go play happy families for good now.”
By "she" he meant Jaelin. He was never able to accept her for a step-mother... even when all she showed him was kindness. He was unable to give it back. She had taken too much away from him.

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Marcellus

▼ Marcellus Varus ▼

Marcel could not understand the rigidity with which he was received. He had not taken the time to think about what leaving would do to Monroe. He watched as the smaller boy pulled away, his own a mirror of anger and confusion. Stammering words fell from his lips. "Know what?" he asked warily.

At first he didn't quite register the words, and so he stared at the boy in silence until he processed them. "Dead?" His heart ached. He had loved Cosette in his own way, they had shared children together... but their agreement had been different than most traditional unions. And then Jaelin had come along. He'd fallen for her hard and fast, then she had left him, and perhaps that was his punishment. But there was one glimmer of happiness he could shine upon his son in all of this. "Gaia... Gaia isn't dead, she came with me, Monroe. She's alive and safe." he said. He had always been closer to his daughter, but that didn't mean he didn't love his sons.

"Jaelin is gone, she took Titus and left. I don't know where she is. I came back to find you and Cosette... I'm so sorry... please," he took a step closer, his ears back and his eyes somber. He just wanted to make this right. He was trying to pick up the pieces of his family. Never in a million years did he think he would be here. It had been his dream to leave his homeland and start a family of his own. A big family, where he sired many children... with one woman. The love of his life.

Things had not turned out the way he planned, but he had children now that he could not simply abandon.

@Monroe

fox

MONROE RENOVADE

A sickening part of Monroe liked to see the weight of his Mother's death crush him. But he was too rattled by emotion to appreciate it. Salty tears filled his dark lavender gaze, making him blink uncontrollably. His heart felt like it was being squeezed by a vice and his throat tightened. "DEAD? Yes, was that not what he had just said?
“You killed her. ”
He muttered again, voice lower and darker than he had ever heard. Gaze glaring at his paws.

"GAIA... GAIA ISN'T DEAD, SHE CAME WITH ME, MONROE. SHE'S ALIVE AND SAFE." His head snapped up then. Shock and regret seemed to barrel into him too quickly. He felt as if Marcel has just shoved a knife into his chest.
“N-No! You're lying...Mother said that she died due to a f-fever!”
He shook his head quickly, stray tears falling to the rocky-most covered ground below. He refused to believe that she had been alive all this time! Refused to believe that he could have been with her... instead of mourning her.

"JAELIN IS GONE, SHE TOOK TITUS AND LEFT. I DON'T KNOW WHERE SHE IS. I CAME BACK TO FIND YOU AND COSETTE... I'M SO SORRY... PLEASE," Desperation clung to Marcellus' voice like it clung to Monroe's heart. He couldn't look at his father. His legs felt weak, trembling with emotion. A large sigh rattled though his jaws.
“Good.”
Oh the anger tainted him, yet he could not help but feel sorry, sorry that Marcel was left alone... his son taken. So he had another son? He had no room for jealously- he was too busy pushing away the yearning to embrace his father. To accept him.

But he couldn't.

He had killed his mother. Kept Gaia away from him. Forced him to become weak... and now showed up just when everything seemed to be looking up. Monroe met his father's gaze in anger. He didn't even care for the tears that streamed down his golden cheeks.
“Don't act like y-you don't deserve it.”

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Marcellus

▼ Marcellus Varus ▼

Again, is son repeated the words 'you killed her' as if Cosette's death was his fault. As if he had strangled the life from her himself. Marcel closed his eyes and shook his head, knowing that Monroe was just lashing out. He couldn't truly believe this; it was a childish thought from boy who was little more that a child himself. He wished he had been there to help, maybe he could have done something but... it was not ultimately his fault and Marcel knew this -- but he would not tell his grieving son that. But when he heard Cosette had lied about Gaia, a flash of anger filled him. She had rather her son be filled with grief over his sister than know she was alive and safe? The thought sickened him.

"Son, look at me." he said harshly. "I would never lie to you. Gaia is alive., and she is well."

He wished she had come with him this morning, but she was likely back in the forest where she would snooze most of the day away. Pain filled him and he wished things could be different. He had chosen wrong so many times already and now there was no going back. He grit his teeth at Monroe's cold words over Jaelin, the boy had never liked her, but to hear from his own son that he deserved such desertion was a bitter feeling. He had not seen his own departure as such, but perhaps his mother had filled the boy's head with these feelings. He had not intended for things to go the way they had with Cosette... and now he could not repair them. She was gone forever. His stomach churned uncomfortably.

Monroe was pushing him away, Marcel was smart enough to see that, but he was stubborn enough to push back.

"Whatever I do or don't deserve doesn't matter. You didn't deserve what you got... and I want to make it right. Let me be here for you now. I promise you, I won't leave again."

@Monroe

fox

MONROE RENOVADE

Emotions were rip within Monroe's tear-stained gaze. How could Cosette have lied to him? She wouldn't have! Surely, if Gaia were alive... he would know. She would have at least come to see him! Or given him some sign that she was alive? "SON, LOOK AT ME." Marcel's words forced his gaze, as he looked upon the golden features of his father; he saw hints of anger. "I WOULD NEVER LIE TO YOU. GAIA IS ALIVE., AND SHE IS WELL." He shook his head, wanting to scream at Marcel; to tell him to shut up and go away... or to stop lying!
“S-she wouldn't lie to me! She wouldn't....”
The first sentence was a loud, childish scream. Yet the second was a small pause and mumble, he couldn't help the tears that fell. Salty and hot as they splashed onto the stones below.

"WHATEVER I DO OR DON'T DESERVE DOESN'T MATTER. YOU DIDN'T DESERVE WHAT YOU GOT... AND I WANT TO MAKE IT RIGHT. LET ME BE HERE FOR YOU NOW. I PROMISE YOU, I WON'T LEAVE AGAIN." His Father's words felt sincere enough, yet it did not stop his maw from twitching upwards. A growl seethed through clamped teeth.
“Don't you get it? I don't want you here! I don't...”
He snapped, head and body turning away from Marcel, he wanted to run; hide away in his Cave... Or perhaps he'd call for Dove and she would tell him where to go.

But he couldn't. His paws wouldn't move and he was stuck. With him.
“Just go. P-please...”
Ears firmly pinned back to his skull as a whine slipped from his jaws... It was all too much, too much...

Gaia was alive.

Cosette had lied.

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Marcellus

▼ Marcellus Varus ▼

Marcellus shook his head, not knowing why Cosette would tell him Gaia was dead. He had wished things were different; he had wished he had been able to come back and tell her how sorry he was and take her in his arms again... but she was gone and he could not change that. A heavy sigh escaped him as he stared at his grief stricken son and realized he was a son he did not know. Monroe had grown from a boy, into a man, while he had been elsewhere with his daughter and his other son, Titus. The fact that he was pushing him away now was no real surprise, but to hear it now was still shocking. "Is that what you really want...?" He had come all this way and searched for so long...

It felt wrong that he was told to leave now, after everything.

"I can stay here, with you, Monroe... we could be a family again. Gaia, too. If she does not wish to keep traveling. Astollo, Harmonia... they are here too, we were looking for their mother..."

He trailed off, unsure if any of this would matter to the boy. He had known the other two very little before the pack they had all been born into had shattered thanks to the neglect of Quetzalcoatl. Marcel shook his head, wondering how Eurydice could have ever chosen a mate like him. That was the jealousy speaking, but he supposed it didn't matter. None of it really mattered.

@Monroe

fox

MONROE RENOVADE

He had no idea how he was still standing up right.

The world felt heavy upon his shoulders as golden chest tightened. Tears strained his vision, made it blurry and unclear; whilst emotions flooded his brain and made him feel un-balanced. Weak. He tried to battle against it, pull himself away and face his father head on.

But he couldn't. No matter how hard he tried. Not even the sound of the waves crashing against the mossy-stone, or the cries of gulls above; eager for their next meal. None of it... nothing could soothe him.

"IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT...?" Voice strained, so full of pain. The scowl that seemed permanent upon Monroe's expression lowered.
“I-I.”
Lips twitched upwards into a sneer.
“Don't know!”
Oh the urge to run away was all to great now.

"I CAN STAY HERE, WITH YOU, MONROE... WE COULD BE A FAMILY AGAIN. GAIA, TOO. IF SHE DOES NOT WISH TO KEEP TRAVELING. ASTOLLO, HARMONIA... THEY ARE HERE TOO, WE WERE LOOKING FOR THEIR MOTHER..." His heart sank. Feeling like it was shattering into a million pieces with every word spoken. Yet he could not comprehend so much all at once, it was all too much...

He turned then, ears flattened to his skull as his home beckoned. A headache began to form at the front of his skull. His steps felt like he was dragging stone instead of himself. Movements were slow and strained. Yet he could not just vanish without some sort of word... right? Even though the rage he felt for Marcel was great, perhaps justified, the man was still his father.
“I-if you want to stay in my life, prove it.”
I'm sorry. The words hissed like a snake from his jaws. Then with that, he forced himself to move quicker-up towards the hill where his home was calling him.

Yet he could not deny the strain he felt when he tore himself away.

-Exit Monroe.-

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Marcellus

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.