FOLKLORE

[ AW ] shine in the afternoon sun

MANON FONTAINE

The sun shines gladly upon a belly of dusted gold, the dim colour more pronounced by the illumination. If she had been born one of the feline kind, she is sure she would be purring right this second. Front paws curled delicately towards herself, she stretches, enjoying the warmth on her stomach.

Humming softly as her body relaxes, her ears flicker every so once in a while, listening out for anything in her surround. Being on her back; it's a vulnerable position and although the forest had done well in serving as her earthly guardian, she knows that it can only do so much.

She recalls recently the usurpation of the Pines by that one pack, driving her temporarily away from her home. She never learned its name, having departed swiftly in hopes of avoiding trouble but its presence had been absolute and she couldn't go anywhere near the forest without alerting sentries.

Their reign had been short-lived, however. It hadn't been long before suddenly, for reasons unknown, their hold loosened and she found herself returning.

Their scent still lingers but not as strong as before, slowly being replaced by the ambiguous scents of wanderers and pine. The question of how passes through her mind, wondering what had happened to the pack, but it disappears as quickly when her interest is not piqued. Perhaps it will resurface some day but she hopes that it will be elsewhere.

For now, she would like to happily bathe beneath sunshine, uninterrupted by disruption and chaos.

“I am speaking”

table made by soar
Everything was coming together rather hastily as well. Their numbers were growing as well as their interest, lights that were once dimmed by the darkness were becoming bright more. Not all hope had been lost. He could thank not only Kylar, but Aurelia for this as well, for they were as much of the foundation as he had been. Aurelia for being strong despite her past, and Kylar—the woman who once saw no good in the world living for someone besides herself. They were good for one another, aunt and niece for they were each other's hopes and will to keep moving forward.

Soon the Pine Forest would be theirs to roam free, where security and happiness would flow like a river. Here was home, here was meant to be simple and here there would be no judgement. With a deep inhale the ebon' man moved forward, large paws imprinting the grass into the earth beneath his weight. He continued on aimlessly until the scent of another filled his nostrils, one that was not familiar.

Golden orbs scanned the forest, each step drawing him closer until his new found company was in his clear sight. "Hello," he spoke out, though his tone was not warm, it did not hold ill intentions either. From there the man waited patient, not approaching any further until he had been noticed.

"Talking."

table by argent 2017

@Manon
For all the lost sheep there is
The Sanctuary

MANON FONTAINE

When rays of sunlight hit broad leaves of trees dubbed flowering, they cast a shadow of chrome within a colour that should be green.

When rays of sunlight attempt to engulf dark needles of those named conifers, they sparkle between the gaps, a mimicry of starshine.

The maiden of the woodland deliberates. She doesn't know which one she likes better: the golden undersides of veined blades or the glimmer of summer eternal. They both seem equally as pretty to love, both a different kind of beauty to experience.

Bright emeralds shine with contemplation as they stare at the winking luminescences above. Perhaps they aren't meant to be compared simply because they should be appreciated separately. One will never appear alongside the other simply because they do not grow on the same soil.

That makes sense, she considers, it would be right to love both.

Pleased at her conclusion, she giggles softly to herself, happy to have solved that mystery easily. No matter which season comes by, no matter where she is, there will always be something for her to admire and cherish.

A gust of wind commends her, threading its gentle encouragement through the soft fur of her belly. She smiles, delight spreading throughout her body.

Her bliss seems to be long-lasting even when she hears the "Hello" from a stranger. Barely flinching at the interruption, the voice seems to come from behind (above?) her and she tilts her head upwards to look at him.

It's a little funny to see him upside down and her smile widens slightly, giggling softly despite the vulnerable position she is in. Rolling onto her stomach, her world righting itself in the process, she takes a deep breath to calm the merry jitters. Blood rushing away from her head, she takes a moment to return herself to a more presentable demeanour.

Smiling no less sincere, she takes in the boy's dichromatic countenance and his unfamiliar scent. It's not one she has smelled in the forest before and she assumes that he is either passing through or has decided to settle.

"Hello.” She returns in her usual soft dynamic, tone welcoming and friendly. “Can I help you?”

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Anteros
Immediately she catches on to his presence, golden eyes watch as her head turns into an uncomfortable position it seems—gracing him with a soft smile and returning his hello. He nods in respect, her further question causing his head to sway, "not quite." He responded, taking a seat against the warmed earth. "I have been in and out of the Pines you see, and your face is not one I remember coming across." Anteros had been careful, sometimes even too careful in his learning about the area. He wanted to know all there was to know, whom had been in and out of it just as he had, and who was here to stay. The ebon' man knew the time would come where those who once called this home would have to turn from it, and while unsettling he found it best for those he promised to protect.

Anteros had scouted many places before this, none deemed as worthy. The food was plentiful, the trees provided enough shade and camouflage to keep preying eyes out. The food was plentiful, but the only problem he could see were the bears. Always the bears.

"Are you aware of the dangers that lurk here?" Certainly an unusual question, one that perhaps could have been taken in a threatening way—though that was never his intention. His mind often worked faster then his mouth, but words were never pondered over as long as they should have been. He needed to know the threats so he could therefore chase them out, as he had done to the dangers before this place.

"Talking."

table by argent 2017

@Manon
The Sanctuary

MANON FONTAINE

He is not one of the forest, she remarks silently, the scents of her home are not as settled upon him as someone who lived here. But, she sniffs gingerly, he is very close. Nodding slowly at his observations, she watches him carefully as he takes a seat.

Pressing her lips together, she contemplates how she should respond to him. Looking over him, she doesn't think he is anyone dangerous or at least, he isn't at the moment. While she is always eager to receive company, the matters of her privacy are often ones that she keeps tightly secured.

Lashes fluttering slightly as she deliberates, she replies, providing a cautious answer. “I...often keep to myself." She says truthfully. "I did take leave over the passing of the seasons, however. If you were here around then, it might be why we never met.”

"If not," she shrugs, her smile becoming slightly more sheepish. "Chalk it up to coincidence."

"Are you aware of the dangers that lurk here?" He asks and her brow furrows a little. She had never felt any animosity from the pines and nor had she seen any creatures in the forest specifically. Shaking her head, she murmurs, "I haven't paid it much mind actually... Most of the 'dangers' tended to be other wolves..."

Blinking in slight concern, she glances around the area as if expecting something to lurk in their surrounds. Looking back to the boy, she asks softly, almost fearfully, "Should I be worried?"

“I am speaking”

table made by soar
Coincidence?

Though he could not agree, being a man of more literal sense rather then leaving things up to coincidence, he said nothing further on the matter. Instead he simply shrugged his shoulders, moving off to the side a bit as well to give the woman more space. He had questioned the danger in means of enlightenment, to know exactly what he was getting himself into as well as those who wished to follow him in his travels. When the woman spoke once more, asking if she should be worried he offer a firm shake of his head. "No, not of me," there was a comfort in his words that only the few who knew him would understand. He was a fair man, and there was little room for malicious intent.

"I ask because I plan to move here with others, and I wish to know if there is anything that will threaten our safety so I can take care of it now." Golden eyes remained rested on the woman, "I assumed you would know, if you had in fact spent as much time here as I have." In his time he had not come across any dangers, but he was sure they lurked around here somewhere. There was no place too safe in Cyrileth, he was sure of it.

"I am known as Anteros," he then offered the woman before retreating back into silence.

"Talking."

table by argent 2017

@Manon
The Sanctuary

MANON FONTAINE

Her shoulders loosen in relief when the boy shakes his head, remarking honestly of his pacificity. At least, she could be sure that she is no immediate danger, despite his insinuation that there are possible threats elsewhere in the pines. She speaks truthfully when she says that she had yet to meet someone or something more dangerous than the wolves that prowl the land. A single red eye comes to mind and she shivers instinctively, recalling the frightening encounters of last season.

When the boy speaks of bringing in people, a pack, she feels her stomach drop. Again, she thinks with dismay, she will have to leave again. Her expression falters in its warmth as it teeters into chagrin and doubt. Blinking, she swallows before smiling slightly to cover up her discomfort. It is natural to be establishing communities once enough people are willing, she supposes and she would agree wholeheartedly that the Pine Forest would do best in providing the perfect home.

Nodding at his reasoning, she understands the importance of security and his questions are no doubt asked in order to provide it. Hoping it might help, she says, "I haven't seen any dangerous creatures here, but sometimes someone...scary wanders in. A wolf, that is.” She frowns a little at the memories, “But that doesn't happen often and the forest is large enough that I don't notice if people do come and go.”

He introduces himself as Anteros and she responds swiftly, the syllables of her name flowing automatically. “Manon.”

They fall into an awkward silence and she shuffles on her feet. Looking down at the needle-covered earth, she feels somewhat bitter at the fact that people keep trying to claim the forest. Why couldn't they go somewhere else? Why did they have to come here?

She raises her head to look at Anteros, a myriad of emotions flickering in her eyes before settling on something neutral. “So...how many of you are there?” she asks, deliberately keeping her voice gentle and devoid of the acrimony that is building in her chest. “Will you be settling soon?”

She ought to know how long she has before she is expelled again.

“I am speaking”

table made by soar
'I haven't seen any dangerous creatures here, but sometimes someone...scary wanders in. A wolf, that is.'

Anteros' eyes narrowed slightly, her dismissal of anything else became almost non-existent as she explained. He remembered what Kylar had told him, of the wolf that had attacked Aurelia, and his memory was a powerful thing. What if it was the same wolf? He couldn't take a chance in not knowing.

'But that doesn't happen often and the forest is large enough that I don't notice if people do come and go.'

"What does he look like, if you don't mind? And while I do not expect you both shared words, if you did have a name as well it would be useful." Anteros' golden orbs scanned her softly, though he said nothing more until she spoke again. He retained her name in his memory, and soon after she had asked how many of them were to follow, and how soon he would be settling. If there was one thing the man was good at it was being attentive, and given all her questions he felt as though them moving to the Pines was not something she wanted. "There are a couple of us," he told her honestly, "we are planning on moving here within the next week." He took a sharp breath in before exhaling softly, "it is not my intention to force anyone from their home, but I have promised to provide a safe space, one that provides not only shelter, but an abundance of food as well. You are welcome to stay if you can find it in you to treat us as family," he drew quiet, but only for a moment. "I know that part may take some time," he then stated in closing.

"Talking."

table by argent 2017

@Manon
The Sanctuary

MANON FONTAINE

Anteros asks of his name and she takes pause, wondering if it would be safe to divulge it. Would he kill her for doing so? She shudders involuntarily at the thought, her heartbeat picking up speed at the idea of him finding out. However, it is necessary, she reasons with herself, Anteros wishes to bring people here; they must know.

“Kassian,” she whispers, a fearful quiver travelling through her voice. Her eyes dart around as if expecting the beast to spring from the trees and she draws instinctively closer to Anteros. “His name is Kassian.”

“He-” she stammers, “-he wears darkness on his shoulders with cream and russet covering his neck.” Taking a moment to swallow, she continues nervously, “He has a singular red eye. The-the one on his right.” As soon as the sentence finishes, her mouth snaps shut and she says no more on the topic of Kassian, fearing that she had said too much already.

Head downcast, she listens to Anteros speak of the pack that he intends to bring, heart growing heavier by the second when he says that they will settle within a week. That is barely any time at all, she bemoans, how will she say a proper goodbye to the— Her thoughts are upset when he begins to reassure her and astonishingly, makes her an offer to join his group.

Her head snaps up, mouth falling open in stupor. Join his pack? She had never done something like that before nor had anyone ever offered. Watching him with wide eyes, she almost thinks it a joke if not for the earnest way he had spoken.

Her family had been solitary, untied to anyone else in their forest. To this day, she still lives alone and up until now, it had never bothered her. To imagine herself with more people, however, to live as a pack most likely larger than anything she'd ever known... As much as it makes her nervous, she feels excited. To have a family again, albeit rather abruptly, doesn't sound terrible and they would allow her to stay in the Forest too, which honestly had been her main issue.

Smiling shyly, she nods quickly, the movement small but noticeable. “I would-I would like that, please.”

“I am speaking”

table made by soar

@Anteros
There is a long pause of silence between them, and for only a moment Anteros wondered if she was contemplating telling him or not. Even still he waited patient until she breaths a name. Kassian. It doesn't ring a bell, but she continues, and when she does he felt his cheeks grow hot.

he wears darkness on his shoulders with cream and russet covering his neck. He has a singular red eye. The-the one on his right

The ebon' male recalled Kylar's description, and this was indeed the same man she had been talking about. Despite the bubbling anger he managed to keep himself content, a sharp inhale to relieve him before exhaling out the frustration if only for a moment to speak. "I have heard of him, until now I have not known his name, but his description is one I cannot forget. He has hurt a friend of mine as well, and I assure you he will not be lingering close to here. I will personally deal with him if our paths dare to cross." That was a promise Anteros would keep, until his last breath. He would not allow a wolf who put fear into the hearts of his family to breath close to their living quarters, or at all if ever given the chance.

Again they became lost in the silence, and it gave Anteros enough time to recollect his thoughts and subdue his burning anger. He shifted his weight beneath his paws, his banner hanging idly off the back of his dark thighs. When Manon did speak, she accepted his offer which put Anteros at a slight ease, happy she did not feel forced to leave her home. "I am pleased," he began with a nod of his head, "I will see you within the next few nights, until then—be safe." He nodded his head to the woman once more before he turned to leave, allowing the provided shadow of the hovering tree limbs to engulf his equally dark figure.

exit anteros

"Talking."
table by argent 2017

@Manon
The Sanctuary

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.