FOLKLORE

[ AW ] lay down your arms
oops

Maybe they were a wanderer at heart, maybe the idea of trying to find a new place to call home was what drove the yearling to adventure through the land...

No, there couldn't be another home. Their home was with their family. With their parents and their siblings. ‘But I can’t go back.’ So, go forward. Keep going forward until something stops you, then you figure out how to get past it and keep going. It’s what their father had always told them. How they missed him dearly, missed his jovial laugh, their mother’s sweet eyes, their siblings’ roughhousing… they even missed greeting their neighbors in the early mornings.

They stopped and shut their eyes tightly, the clenching in their stomach was a familiar feeling. The hotness behind their eyes was familiar too. They bowed their head and tried to stop the blurriness in their vision… it worked for the time being, but that didn’t stop the single escapee of a tear down the side of their muzzle. It cleared the blurriness in one eye but left a wet trail in its wake.

*Snap!*

They looked up quickly at the sound of a twig, the pressure in their ears blocked out their external senses in their moment of almost crying. They didn't even notice that they had strolled up to a border, the scent was strong and for a moment they worried if they should run. So far, Colruin had only ever run into loners and never any members of a pack, much less ones at their borders. Would it be suspicious if they ran right now? Yes, it would… they should stay speak up at least.

"Suil? Is adanath ennas?" Colruin's native tongue came easily to them, their very recent almost-breakdown made them forget that not many spoke their native tongue.

Translation: "Hello? Is someone there?"

"we were born to live, not meant to die"
stock: wolf, background

@Khepri
and@everyoneelseinilios
Colruin goes by gender-neutral pronouns and on rare occasions uses feminine pronouns.

Knows the language Sindarin, a fictional elvish language made by J.R.R Tolkien.

Khepri
I HOPE YOU'RE OK CAUSE I'M WITH YOU THIS TIME

Khepri usually kept closer to camp now, since becoming the pack's Matron... but the pups were in Nassar's care right now and he had nothing better to do than scout the borders. The closer her got, the more nervous he became. What if Sanada was there, lurking, waiting? His stomach churned at the very thought. Guilt over leaving the others to deal with him filled him, but what else could he do? He had to tell Nassar what was happening, and he was no use as a fighter. That much was obvious when he fled after being attacked. His tail was more or less healed, but the missing hair had not yet grown back.

The man sighed. He shouldn't worry, surely he was gone and nothing be amiss. No more than two seconds after that thought did a new scent drift on the wind to meet him. Khepri froze, fear threatening to overcome him and force him back deeper into the forest. It was not Sanada. Breath. He inhaled and decided he should go check on whoever was near their borders. Nobody else was nearby, after all. He heard a voice, but the tongue was foreign. He slipped from the brush to see a dark wolf clad in vibrant markings. "Hello?" he said questionably. What was he to do if they could not communicate?

Colruin ears strained to hear all that was around them. Strained to hear the slightest of movements, slightest of breaths, but for a moment there was nothing but the sounds of the forest. Just the winds whistling against leaves, the sound of an early cricket chirping, the odd bird scuttling through the branches and blocking the strips of sunlight as it went. It was quiet but then, the forest spoke.

”Hello?”

Or rather, a wolf spoke. Colruin turned to see a sandy colored wolf, one that was the same size as themself. ”Oh, su-“ They shut their mouth promptly, forgetting that this wolf just said “hello” in the language that was common to these parts. ”Excuse me—um, hello. Sorry that I uh got so close to your border... I wasn’t looking where I was going and um... Now I’m here and yeah...” Though they tried to look the other in the eye, as they spoke their gaze started to slowly trail to the floor until they were just staring at their paws at the end of it all. It wasn’t on purpose, they had a hard time keeping eye contact with speaking. It was always a habit of their’s to be looking anywhere else other than the person they were speaking to. Some might think it was a rude habit, but for them... it was honestly because looking others in the eye made them anxious. (One of the many things that made them anxious.)

The trail that the hot year had left no longer felt warm for the barest of winds made it cold. The blurriness in their other eye had cleared, but not before it left a slight sting.

"we were born to live, not meant to die"
stock: wolf, background
Colruin goes by gender-neutral pronouns and on rare occasions uses feminine pronouns.

Knows the language Sindarin, a fictional elvish language made by J.R.R Tolkien.

Khepri
I HOPE YOU'RE OK CAUSE I'M WITH YOU THIS TIME

Thankfully the other wolf was not immediately aggressive. Khepri almost let out a sigh of relief, but held it thinking it best not to show signs of possible weakness in front of a stranger. Just because she hadn't been outright mean didn't mean she couldn't be. Khepri's ears twitched as he looked the other wolf over curiously.

"That's alright, no harm in straying near."

Khepri paused a moment then offered a smile. "This is Ilios territory, are you looking for a pack or just passing by?" She said she had just been walking and not paying attention. He was not the Matriach and so he could not grant her access into the pack if that was something she was even interested in, but he could call Nassar. If she wanted to just chat, however, that was fine.

"Oh, my name is Khepri." he added as an afterthought. A little embarrassed, he fell silent, not knowing what else to say. He was just glad that it was not Sanada or an equally aggressive trespasser that he had to deal with. Khepri was never interested in fighting, but knew he would be forced to if someone threatened Ilios or anyone in it.

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.