FOLKLORE

[ P ] She Brings Winter In Summer
Amelia
Thrice now Miss Detherage had been in the Pine Forest. She wandered through the trees with ease, remembering her own mentally noted landmarks to keep track of her whereabouts. The funny shaped rock by a shorter pine, the tree who’s trunk had claw marks in it- things of that nature. To her, there was no harm in revisiting a place over and over again, it would only prove useful in the end. And so, she continued to explore, continued to mark things on her mental map.

Dark russet paws made close to no sound as she stalked along, keeping her fine pelt to the shadows. All senses were on high alert, but in search of what? Well, she wasn’t sure. But she did know she probably wouldn’t be alone for very long. Amelia had great luck in running into others in almost every region she explored, to which she was very happy about. More encounters meant more minds to siphon, more meetings meant more information. After all, the insensitive psychopath did have a purpose. Her final goal was to locate and torment her own kin, all for reasons only Amelia could understand.

And so, with a focus unlike any other, she remained on track. Her next small goal to accomplish was to find and befriend another for false good measure, another pawn in her game pool. Someone to draw forth when needed, someone who could aid her in any way she saw fit. But alas, if they proved unworthy, Amelia had no emotions to give, so it would be with an icy and light heart that she could toss them to the wayside.

273 words| @Vasilica | notes

"We'll sharpen your teeth and the snakes start to sing." Heaven's full and Hell won't have me.

Table © Plymouth
She had chosen the Pine Forest as a temporary sanctuary, secretly relishing in the shade that came with the night sky and the quiet serenity that rose when the sun set and everything fell asleep. Being alone from the rest of the workd was something she still disliked, but if this was how she was going to survive, then she would have to suck it up and deal with it. The only thing she absolutely despised was not being sure about when her next meal would show up. She wasn’t the best at catching her own meals - not yet - so for the time being, she had to depend on other unsuspecting visitors of the forest.

As luck would have it, she caught the scent of an unfamiliar female not too far from where she had curled up earlier in the day. Head rose and nose attached itself to the trail before she rose and stretched her thing legs, slowly staring off to find the newest stranger to her present state. Violet eyes caught the dark and light pelt from far off and her mind started to click and whir like a well oiled machine. Dare she try to pull this unsuspecting woman into her small game? Her stomach gave a soft growl and she clenched its muscles with an affirmative jolt. She dared.

For the moment, she ignored the female and searched for a scent of something she could get her paws on. The first thing she caught was a squirrel that was enjoying a small break from the treetops among the roots of an oak not too far from where the female was bound to appear. Vasilica wasted no time in stalking after it, paws carrying her at a brisk pace before she leaped out of the shadows and attempted to pounce on the squirrel. Sadly, she landed only inches away from it, causing her meal to scamper up the oak with ease. Vasilica’s face contorted into a sour expression and she weakly hollered, “Damn it!” She put one paw over her face, one ear perking slightly for any sounds of the oncoming female. Would she fall for it?

Amelia
The scratching of tiny claws upon the bark caught Amelia’s attention, emerald lenses darting up to see the squirrel escaping, and a young lass shouting profanity. Her eyes fell back to the source, an emaciated little thing. Her head craned slightly, her expression morphing from surprised to a sort of motherly concern. All under gals pretense, of course. But Amelia was an expert puppet master, and so she commenced the games.
"They’re just a little too quick for we wolves, dear."
She offered a warm grin, the squint of sympathetic eyes.
"Are you hungry? "
Miss Detherage took a few steps closer to the youth, letting her eyes look about as if to offer silently a meal. Amelia would help her, in fact, she felt the pang of hunger herself. But her aid never came freely. There was always a price, but this time, Amelia kept her bargain silent.
"Oh pardon my manners, my name is Amelia."
A gentle giggle bubbled up from her feminine chest, her rump falling to the sod, sitting before the lass. This game could prove to be fun, it could prove to be productive. Amelia took this time to observe her newest pawn. She had a few young ones in her pocket, so she was pleased to maybe add another. What advantages could this one give to her? In any case, a hunt could definitely display to Amelia just what strengths the adolescent could provide.

words| @Name | notes

"We'll sharpen your teeth and the snakes start to sing." Heaven's full and Hell won't have me.

Table © Plymouth
Vasilica wondered if this woman would be as gullible as she thought. The fact that she would even consider using her intellect against someone unsuspecting was, in fact, shocking to some who probably met her beforehand. However, Vasilica's survival mode had changed her into someone who had to live by the skin of their teeth (and their bloody paws) and she was not about to turn back now. Survival instincts had gotten her this far; trying her hand at manipulating someone was one of them.

She heard the words of the unaware female, sweet and warm words that could make one's ears melt. Vasilica raised her head to meet the gaze of the approaching woman and she let her eyes reveal the pity that came from being emaciated and alone. "Yes, ma'am," she shyly said, her voice raspy and hoarse from lack of use. "My stomach, it hurts so much...I thought one little squirrel would be enough to tide me over." Paws pushed the girl up to her haunches, her fur matted and frayed from rough weather and lack of nutrition for the past year. Nutrition-wise, Vasilica had a lot of catching up to do. "'Tis all right," she said, her voice wavering from the lack of food. "Nice to meet you, Miss Amelia...I am Vasilica."
Amelia
Ah yes, the hungry girl was named Vasilica. Young and perhaps inexperienced, Amelia’s frigid heart strings were pulled when she spoke in a weak voice. Amelia was no mother, though she could definitely act as one. She smiled sweetly at the girl, a warm aura of motherly compassion spilling into the atmosphere around her.
"How about a nice hunt between two wolves?"
It was an offer that would benefit both of them. Amelia could use the extra calories all the while hopefully gaining the trust of another pawn.
"We can track a doe. Surely it would be easy enough for the two of us to take one down. That way, we both can eat this night."
It was more or less a friendly offer from the likes of Amelia. But there was always an underlying price, always a bargain to be struck. Amelia never wanted for naught, her services came with returned favors, and if unfulfilled often met with a dormant wrath none could suspect of the woman.

She then took a few steps away, her nose moving to the ground as if already assuming the girl’s answer to be yes. She took in a few good whiffs.
"Already caught the scent of one, she went that way some hours ago."
Though it was partially stale, it was a lead. One the pair could follow if Vasilica was up to it.

words| @Name | notes

Table © Plymouth

The warm, motherly atmosphere was new to Vasilica; she hadn't felt it since her days as a mere pup. Even so, she couldn't remember how it felt when her mother had doted on her everyday. She drank up the motherly touch from Amelia, letting it warm her like a blanket before mentally pushing it aside when she had had enough. Her violet eyes remained emotionally unstable, showing the sadness and hope mixed together that came from Amelia's words. Ahh, she was offering a hunt for both of them...so sweet of the stranger, and Vasilica wondered if she was that gullible or if she were similar to her. Either way, she would get what she wanted.

Vasilica nodded her head vigorously, her tail thumping against the ground to show her weak excitement. "You're so smart," she said softly, her voice hoarse still, but eagerness noted in her words. "A doe...I haven't had a doe in forever, Miss Amelia." Slowly, she rose from the ground, shook her bony frame all over, and started to follow after the woman. Black paws carried her until she was closer to Amelia, her nose picking up on the scent that the doe had left. "If she left hours ago, perhaps she hasn't gone too far...my mouth is watering already." Fevered excitement was noted in her hoarse tones, but Vasilica didn't mind. With a partner-in-crime, she was eager to race after it and bring it down for a feast worthy of a king.

"speech"

Table and image by Raven

Amelia Detherage
The child before her used flattery, a sweet tone, an unsuspecting aura - all things the russet serpent was expert at. But Amelia smiled, a motherly vibe exuding from every pore. So they were to hunt together, a deer not too far off. Miss Detherage nodded in return to Vasilica’s words, moving in the direction of which their chosen morsel headed out.
"Tell me Vasilica, where are you from?"
If they were to be hunting buddies, what’s a little small talk? The snake of a woman wanted to delve into the adolescent’s past, but she would offer her own in return. Amelia was all about bargains, deals. An eye for an eye. She’d give tooth for tooth. But before she could respond, Amelia gave her own telling, hoping to pave the way for Vasilica and allowing her to realize it was alright to share.
"I’m a native myself. Born to two unknown wolves. But born and raised in Cyrileth."
She smiled, velvety tones cooing, dripping in toxic honey. Emerald lenses soaked the young girl’s visage in before awaiting her own response. Dark russet paws traveling with ease and silence, her senses alert while she continued to spin her web of games.

words| @Name | notes

Table © Plymouth

VASILICA SAXE

The beginning of their scouting was harmless enough, of which Vasilica enjoyed immensely. Despite her manipulative reasoning for this hunt, she noted that the woman could probably become quite the companion. These thoughts she kept close to her gut for the moment. There were bigger fish to fry and that fish was on four legs who needed to be slain. As they continued to trek, Amelia broke more of the ice by asking Vasilica where she came from. Such an inquiry would have normally made the Saxe woman withdraw into herself, but she prevented that by remaining quiet and waiting to see if the woman would say anything else. On her part, it was a good thing she did.

Amelia said she was a native, born to parents unknown to her despite being raised within the continent's confines. Vasilica perked an ear with noted interest, pondering how best to answer this woman's inquiry. Should she lie and hide it well? Or be truthfully honest and hold nothing back? Either way, there was something to be gained and something to be lost. Vasilica rolled the dice in her mind and revealed exactly enough to satisfy her own mental debates. "A foreign land," she answered, violet eyes perking up to look at Amelia as they continued to walk through various pines. "The name of it escapes me, but I don't mind forgetting. I came here as a yearling...been here ever since."

"speech."

@Amelia
Amelia Detherage
The girl moved along with Miss Detherage, her answer was quite intriguing. Foreign land, forgotten appellations, willingness to lose it, however. They must not be good memories, kind memories, for the girl repressed them so much so she could not get her mind to register the very existence of it. But it was no matter. Cyrileth was home to both natives and foreigners, but in Amelia’s mind, all pawns were the same. She kept the inviting grin upon her lips, her senses still on high alert but very attuned to her guest. The russet serpent never knew when one could say something to trigger an effortless manipulation of her pawn. Hooks, lines, and sinkers were how Amelia much preferred to play her games. Admittedly, sometimes the fish she caught were much harder to land than others. And some were downright useless. But this young Vasilica showed potential, and the snake of a woman enjoyed how young she was. Did she need a motherly figure to guide her? Came as a yearling to Cyrileth, so just how old was the youth?
"Ah, yes. Not so fond memories, I presume? No worries there, darling. I do not like to pry too much!"
She allowed for a bubbly giggle to escape, though kept it rather hushed.
"If you arrived as a yearling, just how old are you? And you’ve been so alone?"
Amelia then splashed a concern expression upon a flawless facade. She became the concerned mother, the compassionate friend, her aura exuding the likes of false parenthood.
"I do remember what it was like being so young. Such wondrous times! I’m afraid I’m only getting older,"
She attempted to break Vasilica further with kind gestures, taking stabs at herself but complimenting the adolescent. Games, it was how they worked.

words| @Name | notes

Table © Plymouth

VASILICA SAXE
Amelia's response and the aura that surrounded her in the process made Vasilica's ears perk with feigned interest. She was not really interested in having a mother figure just out of the blue, but she entertained the woman in front of her with a look of fondness that was only skin deep, but was mirrored as real in her violet eyes. She displayed her possible emotional desires to have such attention on her, while her mind continued to work behind the well-played front. "Thank you for not, Miss Amelia," she said, manners ingrained into her soul like a hammered nail. "Such a topic would ruin today's hunt atmosphere."

The woman then continued to push, lightly so, as she asked her age and if she had been so alone. Vasilica shrugged her bony shoulders, sighing as she thought about it. "It's summer now, correct? My birth season...it was summer when I first arrived, so a year?" She gave a half-hearted smile, eyes now becoming cloudy with mixed emotion. "It...hasn't been all bad."

Amelia spoke of remembering how great her youth had been and she was afraid she was only getting older. The black-and-gold woman's demeanor changed and she couldn't help but giggle, lifting the mood that had tried to settle around them. "You're not old yet, though, Miss Amelia. You have plenty of more life to live, just like me..." Such a childish observation to make for a two-year-old, but Vasilica was playing her game to match Amelia's motherly aura. Her nose then began to twitch and the conversation came to a temporary standstill as Vasilica's senses heightened and her body became tense. "It's here..." she whispered, body lowering as she started to stalk towards a section of the forest that was mainly foliage and bushes. Violet eyes peeked through the nearest bush, falling upon the source of their desired catch...and it was quite lovely to behold.

"speech."

@Amelia

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.