FOLKLORE

[ P ] Cue the Kings
Time works against those who wait. It almost stands still. After his departure from the ravaged and now barren lands that he once called home, he followed the only thing, the only being, that could seemingly move faster than time. He'd accomplished trailing his father time and time again, each time further from the first. His paws would come to ache, stomach turn and twist should he pass through lands that held no sign of prey, and sanity slip should he wander too long without a tap on the shoulder from reality. One could almost see the exhaustion should they wander close enough. But, being the four legged freight train that he was, each step would regain its regal placement upon these new lands. Crown was held up, though occasionally his snout would fall to the terrain beneath him to make note of any new changes- but at this rate, there wasnt much. Radars stood forward atop his dome, working over time. While it was common sense that where he was would change and would become more and more unfamiliar as he went, he still carried himself in the same manor. Day would fade and night would fall across what skies he could see, and again hed meet the same sun or moon that would come to be his only company on this new, seemingly endless, trail.

Until enter the rocks, the waves crashing. He'd make his way to the sharpest of them, the largest. Twisting and turning between each the ever staggering behemoth wpuld come to rest his on his hind-back to the land that he knew nothing of, feared nothing of. Regal facade met the beach's oncoming waves below him, and seemingly endless view above and beyond him.

Light a match,
For I deserve to burn ;;
I AM WHITE TIMBER

From the rocks the lumbering beast rose. He had been laying down, taking a nap, soothed by the ocean’s soft call. The push and pull of the tide always drowned out any other noise so that the man could Rest In Peace. His colossal frame gave a shake, ridding his once flawless pelt of dirt and debris. Once lethal jaws parted in a wide yawn, disclosing in full battle tested bridgework. But it was then the wind’s carry granted him a gift. A cruel gift, perhaps, as he immediately thought it was just a game his mind was playing. His one functioning eye observed the large, intimidating, charming mass of....who is that?

His eye narrowed. His ears pushed forward. His muzzle outstretched. White Timber began to make his way toward the creature now. The wind once again rushed him with the cologne of his presumed lost son. Could it be, was it really? He neared from the diagonal side of the man. His body was riddled with well used, finely chiseled muscle mass. His face constructed of a man with stoic handsomeness. Those eyes. they were Sable’s eyes. The Bear King’s head rose to a heightened level, his eyes - one seeing, one dead - glued themselves to him.
”Aurelius.”
Thunderous tones demanded - but they demanded that he be real. They commanded his own mind to stop with these games, to give him what his heart longed for.

He did not move now. He merely waited. If his son really did return to him, then he would have to change his way, and quick. How would Aurelius fair seeing his father so weak, a legend fallen, a king no more? Suddenly, shame overwhelmed White Timber, but he refrained from showing it. With untamable anticipation, the ruined man waited for his son to turn around, or materialize into the atmosphere.

”words”

template by bean

Maija may appear in any of WT’s threads.

AURELIUS TIMBER
Every Scar Will Build My Throne

At some point the son would have to stop looking, stop following, stop tracking him down every time he disappeared. At some point he would leave the shadows of the old lands and embrace a new spot light wherever he ended up next. But that point would have to wait.

Perhaps this would be the one last time that he'd give effort, that he'd meet the Steel King wherever he may have roamed and conquered or laid idle. Structure remained still when the familiar baritones rumbled and tossed themselves to his radars. He wasnt too sure what to expect- of all times there was never just an abrupt approach. Though from Aurelius, hed been tossed and turned nearly every time he stumbled across his creator, each time hed learn what to say and to not. Hold his tongue, or let a smug grin stab away at the tension after the wrong greeting.

"The Bear King". He cooed, though quiet his chords boomed and reverberated up from his chest. For yet another moment he would remain facing the brutal face of the ocean. Nostrils inhaled the crisp atmosphere, light mists spackling the very tips of his coat. "Or have you moved up to another title? Moved up to an even higher throne?"He was gone from the last and moved to a next, or had he? Facade was still the same, though limbs moved to all fours and the man situated himself at a less closer position to his father. After all this time, he was neither impatient or patient. More so, anticipation was building up his expectations but through the steely beasts body, one wouldn't know.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

Light a match,
For I deserve to burn ;;
I AM WHITE TIMBER

Without realizing it, Aurelius’s words cut his father deeply. The wounds bled, and his soul shattered. He wondered if he had gained himself another title, another crown, another throne. For many years White Timber always had some achievement for his brood to gawk at, an example for them, showing them just how mighty their not so great father was. The bear King let silence fill the void between them for a moment’s pause. This was the first time White Timber had nothing to show for his reputation.
”Not this time.”
He winced. He was unprepared for Aurelius’s disappointment. Would he be disgusted?
”I—“
He stopped himself. His jaws fell ajar, the following words hanging hushed on the tip of his tongue. Without his meaning to, the words found their voice.
”I’m just so glad to see you. I have missed you.”
His voice dripped in thunderous sincerity. He truly was so happy that Aurelius still found his way back to his father’s undeserving side. Over the years the ironclad beast may have gotten better at this whole “father” gig, but his son was always one of the most loyal companions he had ever had. White Timber never told him this, but he appreciated him on such a deep level. He loved his son, and truly always had.

But, would White Timber’s first son accept a man that was broken? Would Aurelius see him for what he was now? If he wanted nothing to do with White Timber, he would have to take it into stride. He knew he had taught his son well in the ways of building his own empire. Aurelius was the next Bear King. He merely lacked the scars. Even still, the iron and steel man remained where he was. He waited, watched, both eager to learn of Aurelius’s judgement and dreading it. But he would deserve whatever came his way. It was what he got for being unable to accept the most tragic moments of his life. In a way, White Timber was handing his crown to Aurelius, he only hoped that he would take it.

”words”

template by bean

AURELIUS TIMBER

And at this point in time one would see all of that trailing as a waste of time. One would see that a Timber meant nothing here then if his father didnt give meaning to the lineage in this new land. But to Aurelius this all meant nothing of much any how. He was here to help establish something, he was here to do something worth while.

All too noticeable hues glanced from rock, to water, to the clouds slowly. Only to fall back to White Timber for a brief moment as his father gathered and ordered his words before flickering to the side of him. Body meandered away and down from the rocks slowly, waiting for the iron beast to follow. Was he looking for a reaction? Was there really much to say, if only to add salt to the wounds? Pausing, he realized he didn't know where exactly it was that be was going. Likewise- and how much farther does one need to go fill his stomach around here? He continued once more after a quick survey of more sand, and more sand. He'd save the sappy reunion quotes and dancing for a later date, a never happening date.

In his mind, there was work to be done. His father could sit and watch, he was older. It was time to face that, but it was time to face a new beginning for his own sake.
“I am speaking”
table made by soar

Light a match,
For I deserve to burn ;;
I AM WHITE TIMBER

Pride filled his soul and eyes as he watched Aurelius. The boy was no longer- but a man. Ready to take the mantle, ready to ascend a throne built from the ground up. It was then White Timber realized that as he continued to meet those of his past, his life slowing piecing back together - he was the only one who did not believe in himself anymore. Horribly jagged ears gave a flick, Aurelius asking if there was something to eat. A sly half grin caressed his wrecked lips, and the brilliance of his still alive eye fell to the ocean.
”Come.”
Father beckoned son, and the beast moved to the waters. The ocean and White Timber were always as one, so when he entered, it was as if he was greeting and old friend. The water absorbed the beast up to his ankles, his attention moving to Aurelius.
”Have I taught you how to fish yet?”
Sure, he probably wanted a deer, probably wanted the thrill of the hunt. But this was old fashioned Timber style, to fish for sustenance, and defend the kills against bears and other wildlife. Besides, it was high time Aurelius’s flawless face gets smacked with some daunting scars, just like his father’s.

Before he would move any further into the ocean he waited for Aur’s presence. Did his dear son even know how to swim? It would be his shame as a father that eats him alive if he never taught his lineage the defining nature of their skills- battle, reigning, swimming and fishing. There were a few more but the bear king was certain Aurelius had no issues in those areas. If he recalled, he already had found a woman to have his own brood with. There were Timbers everywhere, one just had to wait for them to arrive.

”words”

template by bean

AURELIUS TIMBER

Brows furrowed as he watched his father move to the waters as an answer. He pivoted his rear end and front in one swift move. An unamused look fell across his face, a scoff to top it off. He hesitated before trotting towards him, careful to keep his legs from going in too far. In fact, by the time he stopped he was only just barely paw deep. Taught, but never cared to hone on the skill. He knew this meant that hed be in the water at some point, how unimpressed the great White Timber would be if the grueling kid of his couldnt even get his feet wet long enough to catch a bite. He gave an almost awkward grunt, a sigh of laziness before moving further in. It was slow, hesitant. But eventually he tossed his head forward, motioning for the Bear King to start them off, and preferably finish the kill so all he would have to do is tear apart the scaley meal.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

Light a match,
For I deserve to burn ;;
I AM WHITE TIMBER

White Timber could not complain. Aurelius was a cut from himself, the lack of patience, the aggression pure and unrelenting. A brow arched over his one functioning eye, letting it shift to his son who acted as though the water was hot lava on his paws.
”Not fond of the water, Aurelius?”
He could safely say that he was a good mixture between Sable and himself. Aurelius had her eyes, had her markings, but lacked her patience and passiveness.
”Just a moment.”
White Timber gave a curt nod before he began to wade further into the water. The vicious tides whipped against him, but he flowed with the water as if he were made of scales himself. He stood about elbow high, the waves rolling toward him giving him a fine swell. He could clearly see as they rose up, and in some of those waves, fish rode the current. It was a more rare occurrence, but it happened. No doubt the process would take some time, and would test Aurelius’s patience. In some ways, the Bear King did this on purpose, just to see how far he could push his son without him breaking entirely. And in others, he was enjoying he act of fished, the caress of water, the kiss of the chill it gave him.

Some time passed, but it couldn’t have been more than an hour. Finally, in a nearby wave barreling toward the ironclad beast, a fish could be seen coasting along, the water hazily mirroring its body to the kingfisher. With one, precisely timed, lunge and snap of his jaws, he effectively reached into the wave’s belly, and sank his fangs into the tough, scaly hide of the fish. Just about its midsection. He pulled back, almost like a grizzly on a low stocked salmon run, the morsel flopping wildly betwixt his jaws. With one lumbering pivot, he began to make his way to the rocky shore. Upon one of the larger pieces and away from the water enough so that he fish could not hobble back home, he violently threw the fish on the rock with a hard and wet smack!.

Corpulent, terribly marred skull then rotated to face his son, but only his dead eye could be seen. The morsel was unmoving, either knocked out or dead, but either way, it would suffice for the moment.
”I suppose no son of mine does not want the thrill of the kill,”
He began, a rare humor lacing his thunderous tones.
”Let’s go find some real meat.”
He would leave it up to Aurelius to consume the fish quickly or leave it for the scavengers. He then began to meander toward the flood plains. It would be a small trek, but a necessary one.

”words”

template by bean

AURELIUS TIMBER

He almost broke a sweat over the anticipation that built up so quickly on regards to his father's reaction. Relief was just in ear shot when he told him to hold tight, it was then that he collected himself and slowly moved from the waters after having watched him execute his rather fancy handy work. Before he even made it to a somewhat dry area he was met by his father once more who would take lead. Though tired from the trek, hues lit up against his dark mask and he turned on the dime to flank White Timber. A steady trot then flowed into strides to keep just before the Bear King's ever regal crown. He was already tingling from head to paws, eager to do more than just watch trees pass and days rise and fall. It was a hunt, but the prince was excited. Noone could tell that he was bouncing like a pup on the inside, never. And how typical that was for such a man.

“I am speaking”
table made by soar

Together they began on their journey for some real meat. A fine morsel to attack, maul, amd slaughter. White Timber could not remember the last time he had hunted with his son. Was it back in the thickened woods of Urisidae, where he had reigned as the Bear King, unchallenged and feared? There was a longing for his ambition to be returned to his soul, but the ember had gone dampened by the cave’s he hid in here in Cyrileth. White Timber was uncertain he would ever gain those prideful strides back, the thrones of which he easily acclaimed, and slaughtered for. Everywhere he went, White Timber always made a name for himself.

But not here.

White Timber lacked all the things that made him who he was, and it was all due to his losses. Normally, the nomadic brute could overcome, could regain his control. But this time his entire insides broke down. They materialized and melted, liquified. He needed to solidify once again, but how? Perhaps the arrival of his son would help. But it was high time he learned to take the mantle of the Timber lineage. Afterall, he would be patriarch some day. He needed to start acting like it if he were to ever fill the large paw prints of White Timber himself.

Badly botched ears swiveled toward Aurelius as his mind began to ramble.
"Tell me, have you sired any more litters?"
An odd question, sure. But he was known for being horribly, brutally awkward. His one seeing eye shifted to greet the eyes of Sable situated within his son, and hoped he not only made him feel uncomfortable, but strange too. He had a knack for making his children feel his own brand of weirdness. So much so, that he had to stifle the grin that dared to show itself, keeping a rather smug expression rather than the amused one which wanted to show itself so badly. While executing his new found conversation, White Timber’s nostrils picked up the scent of a deer on the wind’s carry, and with a small change of direction, began to meander toward it.

"until i collapse"
table ▶▶claerie. manip ▶▶ kalli

@Aurelius

affiliates
credits
Site coding by soar. Banner image by Claerie.
Map of Cyrileth by Amphispiza. Board images by ??????.
Hosting by rpginitiative.com.